Disco vs Macho

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/16/disco-vs-macho.html

4 Likes

insert [why not both?] gif here.

7 Likes

I’m more of a Duck man, but I put that down to my age. I never saw the video, but the Duck mascot is creepy and the Duck puppet is underwhelming.

7 Likes

Are they still planning a MCU Howard the Duck movie? I hope so…

Also… Didn’t the village people already bridge this gap?

Or bears… they’re pretty macho and also probably many of them love disco… not to stereotype bears, though.

:woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

In 1977 Bill Cosby released a novelty disco record Disco Bill, which included the track What Ya Think ‘Bout Lickin’ My Chicken?

4 Likes

Funky

4 Likes

Third option wins because it’s got 80s Lea Thompson.

Duh.

10 Likes

I had Mickey Mouse Disco on cassette when I was 6. Loved that shit.
And it is shit.

5 Likes

So, behind door 3, you have Thomas Dolby ripping off Prince’s Let’s Go Crazy, having it performed by Lea Thompson and an animatronic duck, all the while Tim Robbins mugs from stage right. I mean, it is one of the greatest moments in our cultural history.

11 Likes

Yep…

Edit: @Mindysan33 beat me to it already

7 Likes

It’s a great song! We can listen twice!

8 Likes

It was the 70’s; back then, puppetry only came in lame/nightmare fuel varieties. Unless you were a Muppet, then it was all limo rides and cocaine bumps to a Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem soundtrack.

8 Likes

I’m going out on a limb here but both of these are probably why the expression “Disco Sucks!” exists.

5 Likes

I made only it as far as when that stupid duck blocks those gorgeous dancers. What was the question, again?

1 Like

based on the 3 choices… none of the above?

6 Likes

Howard the Duck, because I am an 80’s kid, and one of Marvel’s earlier, hilariously bad movies.

@Mindysan33: Sure hope an MCU movie is still in the works. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

No, I’m pretty sure that was the racist, sexist, homophobic backlash against the genre…

Peter Shapiro did a pretty good break down of that here, too:

It’s an excellent book if you’re into music history, even if you don’t like disco in general.

Me too.

16 Likes

(disco sucks campaign)
As usual some people can’t see beyond their nose: diversity is a quality, and wonderful things can be done by putting together apparently unrelated cultures.

1 Like

11 Likes

Also, Disco is a big reason that 12 inch extended remixes became popular and made pop songs longer…

joey-badass-more-you-know

7 Likes