What was hot in pop culture in June of 1998

Are we like Fire Mario now?

fire-mario

I want to be Racoon Mario! Can I be Racoon Mario?

6 Likes

Are you old when that DJ that you used to dance to in the 90s is on Come Dine With Me (and not the celebrity version either)?

2 Likes

It’s 2018, you can be whoever the hell you want!

8 Likes

TBH, I’m not sure any of the DJs I used to dance to are even remotely famous! I bet their all either still djing the goth club circuit or are all middle aged parents with kids now… I have no idea what happened to all those djs, actually.

But yeah, that might mean you’re old. But according to @Tamsin_Bailey, we’ve only leveled up, so maybe it ain’t so bad.

6 Likes

Same here. I remembered “Too Close” and “You’re Still the One,” as well as The Truman Show (which I never saw). I’d figured there would’ve been something about Seinfeld, Friends or ER.

3 Likes

I can? Why does no one tell me these things IRL? :wink: I’m gonna go jump off the roof with my new tail!

raccoonmario2

3 Likes

Start from the ground, work your way up!
Trust me on that. I have scars to prove it :grin:

4 Likes

I didn’t have a TV through most of the '90s so those clips were lost on me. I recognized Fastball and The Living End and something else… was Sarah McLachlan in there?

3 Likes

I totally agree.

5 Likes

Lol, you know your old when…the classic rock stations are playing the “new” crap.

7 Likes

Music radio didn’t play most of the stuff that I liked in the 1990’s, except for John Peel…

I have no hope of classic radio playing any of it now.

5 Likes

She was, although I am unfamiliar with that particular track.

DJ Obsession was fairly big in the Scottish hardcore scene in the 1990s and 2000s. Smurf, on the other hand, is now DJing at European hardcore festivals, which is really weird for me because I remember when he was resident DJ in a room in the Newcastle Uni student union that’s smaller than my living room.

Does that mean that I have to buy a new book?
250px-Epic_level_hndbk_v3_cover

6 Likes

Funny, most of the stuff I liked in the '90’s was written in the '50’s, '60’s, and '70’s. :slight_smile:

I don’t really like techno so that wouldn’t have been on my radar. I lean more to rock ‘n’ roll, rock, hard rock, blues, jazz, folk, and, in smaller doses, country/western. And blends thereof.

Being a guitarist in a couple bands didn’t lend itself to appreciating dj’s either as we viewed them as competition taking gigs from bands.

I consulted a list of “the best rock of the '90’s” to refresh my mind of what came out then.

Man, that’s a depressing list. There’s maybe a handful of songs there that I like and maybe another handful that wouldn’t cause me to change the station.

Yep, I’m old.

4 Likes

John Peel was one of the original BBC Radio 1 DJs from the 1960s, but he kept reinventing himself and kept himself musically relevant until his death in 2004. He was one of the first national radio DJs to play punk to the UK in the 1970s.

He played what he liked on his show, from pub rock to techno and from classical to speedcore, and it was better than everything else on the radio because of it. There were also the legendary Peel Sessions too.

5 Likes

Yeah, as far as I was concerned, the musical highlights of 1998 were all re-releases:

6 Likes

Yep, that’s about right.

All of the great music wasn’t in the mainstream. Primus, Prong, Sepultura, Living Colour the band, Tool, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Liz Phair, the Lunachicks, Public Enemy, all the grunge that wasn’t Pearl Jam, and all the 90s hip hop.

For all the pop, the occasional oases of the Beastie Boys, Fastball, Madonna, Mousse T, Fatboy Slim, Brandy, the Truman Show - and otherwise for the most part a vast wasteland.

3 Likes

4a7148c0a72be75413a15dc1abe49f06--david-bowie-quotes-aging-gracefully

9 Likes

Love that title “It’s Mister Fathead”.

Got me to thinking of that 1 album for the deserted island:

Released in '72 but in these Trumpist times listening to it is good for the soul.

Sorry, I have strayed way off-topic. I’ll stop now.

2 Likes

Wondering if they’ll have The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill come August.