Industrial I used to like now sounds like pop to me

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/06/industrial-i-used-to-like-now.html

3 Likes

I am just enough older that I sounded a bit like pop to me even then. So did Front 242.
Not that I don’t like either band.

I imagine it has more to do with the industrial sound bleeding over to pop songs than anything.

Of course hearing The Ramones in the grocery store is still an odd experience for me.

41 Likes

How about seeing middle schoolers in Ramones shirts?

17 Likes

Nah that is just mom and dad raising the kid right!

24 Likes

Punk Bowling was the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. No punks, just bowling and music that is now pretty indistinguishable from pop rock.

7 Likes

Ska is not dead?

6 Likes

Punk was more about attitude than sound which is why for me at least The Clash really did THE VERSION of I Fought The Law. The Ramones for all they are/were is very rooted in pop/early rock that they loved.

Also the above mentioned Sex Pistols while great stuff are as manufactured a band as you could get for a punk band.

11 Likes

The Aquabats (the guys singing the chorus) are a band I would love to see live and are wonderful fun.
If you haven’t seen their TV show you are missing out and yes SKA will never die.

10 Likes

From top to bottom the sound mix gets more “analog”. Is raw unadulterated sound what you are craving?

The Normal still sounds pretty odd.

TVOD!

Not “pop” but this sounds as though Peter Gabriel could’ve made it, maybe (but not quite) for Passion:

On the other hand, there are snippets/samples throughout E.N.'s early work that I recognize from various Ocora recordings (and P.G. has acknowledged using recordings like those).

10 Likes

Not massively surprising considering Trent was heavily influenced by one of the Eighties’ foremost pop-smiths, Gary Numan (who in turn, found himself influenced by Trent Reznor; it’s the circle of life kids!)

Downward Spiral is still an excellent and confrontational album mind you.

Another industrial album that still sounds fresh to this day is Pigface’s “Fook”. It’s weird and dirty enough that it’s got legs.

6 Likes

Once on a road trip I played some Front 242 and my daughters said it sounded like Ross from friends “music”

11 Likes

To be fair, Trent Reznor’s Pretty Hate Machine always sounded like Phil Collins wearing a spiked leather jacket to me. Seriously, give “Terrible Lie” a re-listen, and tell me you can’t imagine Phil Collins just as I describe. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

How about listening to the Ramones on the muzak system in the big box grocery story? I wanted to be sedated right then and there.

8 Likes

As a longtime follower Static-X (RIP), I just want to point out how amazing the last album or two or three were! Absolutely mind-blowing in terms of sonic exploration and lyrical weirdness. At 40 years old, its still on my top 3!

I think the NIN and Static-X songs you posted sound like pop because they rely on the same tried-and-true song writing techniques as pop music. Not a problem for Throbbing Gristle though!

Of course, I don’t really consider sounding “pop” an inherent problem. I love ABBA as much as Throbbing Gristle!

24 Likes

You were up above it?

Now you’re Down In It…

9 Likes

Punk is as Punk does

1 Like

There will always be Throbbing Gristle.

6 Likes