Industrial I used to like now sounds like pop to me

That’s just the nostalgia1) kicking in.
Perfectly normal development.
It’s nature’s way of telling you that you are about to spend more time on dealing with hair on body parts where you don’t want any than you’ll spend on dealing with the hair on your head.

1) Which just isn’t what it used to be, either.

7 Likes

skanking-3

8 Likes

Early Ministry sure as hell sounded like pop with fake British accents and everything. It’s actually kind of wonderful in a self aware ironic kind of sense.

7 Likes

Maybe just me, but like Throbbing Gristle, I feel some bands like Big Black manage to escape this phenomenon.

6 Likes

TG really lost their edge.

1 Like

This chune still has some edge after 30+ years, IMO:

6 Likes

lol, I once heard “Lost in the Supermarket” while shopping… IN THE SUPERMARKET!

20 Likes

Could you no longer shop happily?

14 Likes

I don’t know why exactly but I think we can all agree this is Depeche Mode’ fault.

10 Likes

That’s the single version of “United.” They fixed it for the LP:

5 Likes

I’m not sure what their shows are like these days, but I saw them in a small music hall back around the days of Fury of the Aquabats! and they were in full superhero regalia with kaiju monsters battling on stage the whole time. They kept tossing mini donuts out to the crowd, and I vividly remember MC Bat Commander doing a standing backflip, landing on both feet, and catching a donut in his mouth during a drum solo. Can Batman do that??!

7 Likes

No spike leather jacket required?

9 Likes

Now that’s my kind of republican.

4 Likes

Not for nothing that when I saw Numan with a buddy of mine a few years ago, my friend dubbed him “Nine-Inch Numan.” It really did sound like mid-nineties NIN.

3 Likes

Hey, Dick Dale is still rockin’, and he’s my parent’s age.

6 Likes

I don’t know why you’d say that!

12 Likes

Ah, that was a fun one back in the day. I did re-listen to “Suck” semi-recently.

Terrible Lie is my favorite track on that album. Live it was incredible.

So did I, in Walmart. It was unnerving. Only matched by hearing a lyric free version of I Know What Boys Like in an elevator.

2 Likes