Can you beat my score in Merriam Webster's 10-question vocabulary quiz?

Are you “the score”?

6 Likes

5 Likes

Yup. I think that has a lot to do with it.

Anyway, 10/10 solely for the reason that I am in Mexico, and learned the word for frozen, “congelado”. It helped me decide that “gelid” means “icy”.

12 Likes

If not now, you should be a linguist.

4 Likes

I’m not taking the Kobayashi Maru.

13 Likes

4 Likes

And, at the time a witch turned me into a newt…it got better…AFTER I did the quiz…

3 Likes

10/10
and I don’t remember the exact number but it averaged to 89% of 4200 fwiw

3 Likes

TIL I learned a word I will, hopefully, forget soon:

lagniappe (LAN-yap or lan-YAP) a small gift given to a customer by a merchant at the time of a purchase" (such as a 13th doughnut on purchase of a dozen), or more broadly, “something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure.” Used more generally as meaning any extra or unexpected benefit.

4 Likes

I learned that one from Gabriel Knight which taught me about 97% of all the things I know about Voodoo or New Orleans.

6 Likes

Yeah, lagniappe is an everyday word in New Orleans. I was surprised to learn as an adult that its not used elsewhere

7 Likes
  1. I went on to look at how I did for my age group [50,60). It’s interesting that the highest average score is by people in their 60s; there’s improvement by decade until 60s and then decline.
4 Likes

3 Likes

4020 out of 4200.
Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 11.00.48 PM

7 Likes

I’ve been taking these for years. The only way to get a perfect score is to cheat. No one can read a question and 4 answers in the time they allot. There are certain people, for reasons known only to themselves, take the test to get the best score and write down the answers. “Question 1 is answer 3.” They retake it, and then log in to get their perfect score. They’re always in the top 3. I’m on to you, TimPODonoghue!

Everyone gets 7th so they come back for another test, and get the ads reloaded.

7 Likes

23 Likes

I did it on my phone and had to scroll to see all the choices. Missed 3.

3 Likes

I got dinged on ‘Cromulent’. I am sure I would have been higher than #7 otherwise.

7 Likes

I’ll admit to trying a few times, can’t seem to break 4k

3 Likes

Man, you have to be really quick. I thought I was rushing.

8 Likes