Can you hear the difference between cheap and expensive pianos?

if you still have it, is there some sort of pitch making engraved anywhere on the sax?

Still have it… I couldn’t discern anything might’ve indicated the pitch. It only says “La Monte,” “Made in Italy” and the serial no.

It’s definitely a modern horn; it doesn’t have the split bell keys, or the old LH pinky keys that one would find on a horn older than the 1930s. Maybe they did make high-pitch horns later than that? I have noticed (just eyeballing it) that the arrangement of everything on the horn (neck length, tone hole placement, etc.) does not line up with another horn set next to it, but I didn’t actually take measurements so that might not mean anything.

1 Like

a “stencil” made by Orsi.

but perhaps you already know this much.

2 Likes

I’m leaning against some 1911 piano parts as I type this. A friend in a 3rd floor condo got a free piano off of Craigslist. Same story as yours, except that one day, he sends me an email asking if I had a power saw that could cut up a piano. My response was, “Is this a trick question?”

Some hippie artist came and got the keys and soundboard parts for a project, I took the big pieces of wood for furniture (the parts I’m leaning against aren’t ‘furniture’ - they’re just leaning against the kitchen wall for now), and he burned some of the innards in his fireplace.

I discovered it was black spraypaint (professionally done, not from little cans), over white lacquer (spraypaint again) over mahogany veneer. I know about furniture and paint, but my piano lessons were completely wasted on me. I’ve always wondered if all that paint affected its sound.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.