Can you please stop with Cards Against Humanity

But this is the problem I have with it - scripted non sequiturs [sic] just aren’t funny. Monty python did it well because they were basically geniuses, and it was new at the time. It hasn’t been funny since.

Are you sort of arguing: I don’t enjoy this game. Therefore you should not enjoy it either?

4 Likes

That’s gotta be, what – 10 years old?

To demonstrate that I made a circular argument, you reposted some words that I’d used, as a response to my own words. This says nothing about my words, your words, or even what a circular argument is.

To reiterate, your interpretation of the article was a defensive reaction to something that really wasn’t out to judge you, personally, for your part in raping midgets who are shitting in buckets. Moreover, noting your offense at others’ offense reflects not circular reasoning on my part, but an underlying indifference to the principles that you’re affecting.

However, I think this can be understood charitably! Because that principle – that people should just learn to take a joke, etc – is not a particularly nice principle and your abandonment of it will serve you well. The offense you took at the glib and privileged use of certain words is completely reasonable. I simply encourage you to take the next step and empathize with others who have felt the same way as you, in more pressing circumstances than arguing on the internet about card games.

6 Likes

[] (BB BBS Comment BINGO)

1 Like

My description of the game is “Have you managed to reach your mid=20s and still think dead baby jokes are hilarious? Play Cards Against Humanity!”

5 Likes

The game gets lame when everything devolves into a dick joke. Not including the offense people take because that’s sorta based on the company you keep. But really the game has no beginning or end. Just people who get bored.

1 Like

I’m 40 and I think farts are still funny, does that count? Cause there’s plenty of fart jokes in there, too.

4 Likes

Fuck this horseshit article… 2 years ago you were laughing along with all of us and thought it was cool as hell, and now you want to seem cool by not liking it now that it’s popular. This is the same shit people do with bands, and you’re doing it about a card game. Get over yourselves. Yeah use not to cool for this.

2 Likes

Well, the point remains: those phrases are discursive keywords for those who lament the loss of our adherence to the principles they hold dear.

So you’d think we’d have found time once or twice or maybe three times in 40 million words to use them…

Seriously, our ability to pick up conservative and reactionary readers and string them along for years until they realize where they are and freak the hell out – it’s legendary.

If blogging were a card game, this would be a powerful unique bonus assigned by the “Left Libertarian-ish” card.

5 Likes

Given that the brouhaha was in June 2008, and the tile’s “instant win” rating suggests the timeframe of its heyday, it’s no more than 7 years old.

Edit: Looks like I dated the thing wrong by a bit less than a year. The most accurate dating method available, the WHOIS lookup, states this:
Updated Date: 25-jan-2015
Creation Date: 26-oct-2007
Expiration Date: 26-oct-2015
So it is almost 8 years now.

2 Likes

It’s all the pro Ted Cruz articles that confuzzle 'em.

Nope, I’m saying that I don’t like it, and if you do you must be less of a person :wink:

2008, I think.

Who’s violet Blue?

when I saw the sea creatures tile, I thought “I miss Maggie”–another cliche?but we’ve had some recent aricles about octopi in the meantime

re: 3

CONSUMERS, REVOLT!

Fucking good.

I own CAH and play with decent people, but I see nothing wrong with self-censorship in the interest of someone’s happiness and “institutional censorship” and “thought policing” within reason.

Treating others like human beings and respecting their feelings is important to me. I make what reasonable concessions I can, and this dumbed-down South Park conservatism that we MUST BE OFFENSIVE 24/7 GO AMERICA BOO TERRISTS AND SJWS is just as detrimental to societal well-being. It’s a part of how I strive to be a better person. If you aim to be unfiltered at all times, I imagine that you’re lying or otherwise unaware of your own controls over your behavior, but if you aren’t, I feel for those around you.

Anyway, this article is at least a good reminder to get rid of the shitty cards in my deck.

6 Likes

Abort, abort, abort! Don’t ask that question! It’ll be the memory hole for us all.

6 Likes

And that’s what these threads are useful for and what all the “OMGNANNYSTATE” posts miss the fucking point. Some people are never conscious and never examine themselves. It’s just full bore all the time.

5 Likes

Fluxx

Munchkin

Aghh! No! WHY.

1 Like

Assumption. I didn’t feel judged by the article, as I haven’t played CAH in a long time, and don’t really care if I ever do again. It wasn’t that fun. But thank you for telling everyone what I was feeling at that moment. Or maybe you can only frame YOUR argument if you set me up as that straw man.

Uh, I was not offended that they took offense, I was pointing out that they took offense rather late in the game and tried to use “but it really hurts people in the end” as their argument. But you did manage to spin that into some sort of backhanded jibe with claiming I’m indifferent to “principles”. A vague accusation from such a small sampling of what I’ve written.

Aha! The principle I have not only indifferent to, but have now fully abandoned. Yes, thank you. I… wait, where did your reply go?

Huh. Did you delete that @beschizza or are there admins who did so? Did I hit too close to home? As “Managing Editor” shouldn’t you stand by what you’ve written, and if you change your mind admit it rather than delete history?

You or an admin can delete that, but I read it. But I’m going to keep pointing out your use of jargon, guilt by association/implication, and telling people what they are thinking or feeling at any given moment, as unseemly for anyone giving themselves the title of Editor.

I missed this episode in BB history, and when I looked it up, I just get a vague cryptic notion that something unpleasant happened behind the scenes. I have to admit, the unwillingness of the participants to discuss it just makes it juicier from a sort of gossipy, nosey perspective. I suspect it’s more boring than it seems.