Can you see the car in this photo? It's right in front of you

Originally published at: Can you see the car in this photo? It's right in front of you | Boing Boing

10 Likes

6 Likes

“Click on all squares with a car in it.”

48 Likes

In high school my 200SX was easily spotted. It was the one that regularly had sentiments like “this car is a disgrace” and “clean me” inscribed in the dust. The trusty old hatchback deserved better from me, I’ll admit.

13 Likes

May as well just ask “can you see the mirror in this photograph?”

12 Likes

Hey, another person showing off their talent for cleaning the dirt off the side of a car.

Been at least 10 minutes since I saw one of those.

1 Like

Yeah, not so much of an optical illusion as it is a really clean car.

2 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWYjOj8LejQ

3 Likes

I see your skanky 200SX and raise you my courier bike circa 1995…

11 Likes

I know nothing about bikes - but like this aesthetic.

4 Likes

Yes! At its dirtiest, the Datsun would never have fit into the post-Apocalyptic Mad Max landscape as well as that baby would have.

4 Likes

I always figured there was a line somewhere between the dust preventing those harmful UV rays from ruining the paint job, the bits that might fall off during cleaning*, and the point where the cost of the car wash is less than the aerodynamic impact/reduced fuel efficiency… :thinking:

Hey, it’s raining…problem partly solved! :grin:

*I once had a spare tire cover knocked off during a car wash. Car went in with it, and came out without it. It fell into the machinery and was so scratched up and dented that it had to be replaced. :money_with_wings:

12 Likes

I don’t think dirt has an effect on fuel efficiency something something boundary layers. :thinking:

It was a popular look among couriers at the time born out of practicality and obnoxiousness. Despite the post-apocalyptic appearance, reliability, safety and staying approximately road legal were also considerations. For couriers reliability and obnoxiousness were priorities.

Painting stuff matte black is something I still do. My friend Evan is an artiste of the post-apocalyptic aesthetic though…

Mercenary Garage Custom Motorcycle Workshop Yamaha TDM 850 Rat Matte Black Stickerbomb Survival Bike Sharktooth Simpson Helmet Pic by Evan Kelly

00 Mercenary Garage Custom Motorcycle Workshop Yamaha TDM 850 Zombie Tactical Matte Black Van Sharktooth VW Volkswagen T4 Transporter Vanlife Simpson Helmet Off Road Image Evan Kell

Bikes are Ev’s, van is mine. They’re all road legal(ish) and in regular use.

5 Likes

Fake! I bet it is really CG… :wink:

Is it hard to get motor vehicle accident insurance with this finish?
OTOH, parking fines are a thing of the past.

1 Like

I used to own a black Ford Mustang which looked great when it was washed and waxed. Unfortunately, it attracted the attention of a pair of sandhill cranes. One of the sandhill cranes caught sight of his own reflection, thought it was another bird, and went on the attack. He started pecking at his own reflection on the rear passenger side fender. I’m freaking out because he’s scratching the paint, so I push the button on my key fob to honk the horn. I hoped the noise would frighten the bird away. Instead, the crane thought the “other bird” was challenging him. The crane rose up to its full height, unfolded its wings to their maximum extension, and went at the car even harder. I scared the birds away by throwing at them the only thing I had handy: slices of white bread. The bread distracted them and they wandered off. I never could buff out the scratches.

13 Likes

“911, what’s your emergency.”

“Yeah, uh, I don’t know what the hell is going on, but some dude is throwing bread at a crane, and I just felt like I should call someone.”:

5 Likes

You were able to keep a Moto Guzzi running enough to make a living as a bike courier?

7 Likes

Ha!

It wasn’t a Guzzi, it was a Honda CX500.

I had two of them. I had other shortlived bikes as well, but the bulk of my courier career was CX powered.

4 Likes

z

2 Likes