Canada-shaped coin issued by Royal Canadian Mint

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/17/canada-shaped-coin-issued-by-r.html

7 Likes

At this point we’re kind of stretching the definition of “coin”. It’s a decorative metal object. If it had a pin on the back it would be a brooch.

23 Likes

Oh, Canada.

19 Likes

Nifty. For a second I wondered if Trump would order the mint to make a Trump shaped coin, but then I realized it would still be round. But very stable.

15 Likes

I still want one of those glow-in-the-dark T-Rex coins, Canada. Why can’t you carelessly drop those coins in vending machines while passing through Michigan like you do with your nickels and dimes?

11 Likes

On the plus side, it’s easy to dig one out of your pocket amongst all the loonies and toonies.

10 Likes

A coin is a small, flat, (usually, depending on the country or value) round piece of metal or plastic used primarily as a medium of exchange or legal tender.

If its not meant to be used as money is it really a coin? :thinking: (yes i know its made of silver and will likely be collected for the silver value)

2 Likes

I don’t want to be harsh - but - that design would be best used as a beer coaster.

6 Likes

Sure, if you draw the animals to fit the shape of the country they fit.

Not one of those animals in anyway seems to “fit” the shape of the country, except for how they are drawn to go out to the edge.

9 Likes

21 Likes

Definitely a missed opportunity to design Hudson Bay as a bottle opener.

15 Likes

If they painted a saber tooth tiger head I feel like they would have nailed it.

I see a squirrel.

6 Likes

Silver Price per Ounce $15.87

4 Likes

Face (legal) value $C 50.While old coins certainly retain their “coin-ness” when their value as collectables exceed their face value, I’m not really sure that it is really appropriate to call this money when its initial cost to procure is so much higher than its face value. The same could also be said about proof coins and Maundy money, and people don’t tend to deny that they are coins. So this is really about the shape offending people’s notion of the meaning of the word coing.

2 Likes

Works for Australia too.

jpeg

20 Likes

Calling it a “coin” ups the interest and thereby increases the chance that it’ll sell.

Oh, look! A teapot shaped like a sewing machine. I must have it!

3 Likes

Toothless? That you?

1 Like

4 Likes

Amazing that Canada has put out such varied coins and bills over the past few years, all celebrating our country and the people in it.

America though… can’t quite put my finger on it, doesn’t scream ‘diversity’ really.

10 Likes