Canadian court rules on copyright trolls: letters can go ahead, under strict supervision

[Permalink]

As a Canadian, I do find America-brand legal news to be far more exciting and interesting than the local fare, but for all of the wrong reasons.

Hang on, this seems halfway reasonable.

I guess the Borg haven’t assimilated this judge yet…

Halfway isn’t enough. Is Voltage going to try to prove actual harm, to the tune of $1,500? Is there a judge in Canada that gullible? In America we’ve proved the answer is yes, but I always hope for more calm and integrity north of the border.

Haven’t you noticed how the Canadian government is in thrall to the MPAA and RIAA et al?

I would’ve thought the judiciary weren’t far behind… although I guess it’s probably tougher to corrupt.

This ruling does seem like a shift closer to what the MPAA and RIAA want. The previous case as I recall was basically the judge saying “bring me some real evidence identifying a person, not just an easy-to-forge log file of IP addresses and times”.

This ruling is more like “Fine, an easy-to-forge log file of IP addresses is enough evidence for us to force Teksavvy to have to give you subscriber information for who had those IP addresses at those times. And fine, you can send threatening letters to them, but we’re going to look at the letters to make sure they’re not too threatening.”

1 Like

Oops, I missed it was just on the basis of IP addresses.

Fuck that.

Your comment made me skim through the court order to see if I had simplified things too much.

http://www.teksavvy.com/Media/Default/Customer%20Notices/Voltage_v._Does-2014FC161_ReasonsForOrderAndOrder.pdf

Nope. That’s all they have as far as I can tell. The court order actually does have a reasonable description of Bittorrent and how it works as a protocol.

1 Like

It sounds like it’s time for people to make up some easily-forged wifi router logs showing unauthorized external access on the date in question, that was promptly shut down after the infringing content was downloaded.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.