Capital Gazette publishes despite newsroom attack

Bed-wetting is the only rational response.

5 Likes

pogowileycatt

3 Likes

This sounds like yet another case where, if courts and police took stalking and domestic violence seriously, and enforced those laws, this guy wouldn’t have been able to buy or own guns under the laws we have now.

5 Likes

“When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout.” – ancient adage via Herman Wouk.

8 Likes

From Trump’s pie hole comes this:

“Journalists, like all Americans, should be free from the fear of being violently attacked while doing their job.”

But I think he meant so say that: Journalists, like anyone, should be free from the fear of being violently attacked at any time.

Then again, with this guy, it’s hard to tell.

4 Likes

From the mouth of the devil:

“And so, I established in 1919 a programme and tendency that was a conscious slap in the face of the democratic-pacifist world (…) [We knew] it might take five or ten or twenty years, yet gradually an authoritarian state arose within the democratic state, and a nucleus of fanatical devotion and ruthless determination formed in a wretched world that lacked basic convictions.
Only one danger could have jeopardised this development – if our adversaries had understood its principle, established a clear understanding of our ideas, and not offered any resistance. Or, alternatively, if they had from the first day annihilated with the utmost brutality the nucleus of our new movement.
Neither was done. The times were such that our adversaries were no longer capable of accomplishing our annihilation, nor did they have the nerve. Arguably, they furthermore lacked the understanding to assume a wholly appropriate attitude. Instead, they began to tyrannise our young movement by bourgeois means, and, by doing so, they assisted the process of natural selection in a very fortunate manner. From there on, it was only a question of time until the leadership of the nation would fall to our hardened human material.

-Hitler’s address to the Nuremberg Congress, September 3, 1933

11 Likes

Lobbyists have spent the last 20+ years making those laws very difficult to enforce. Firearm ownership databases are incomplete and difficult to access by design and known abusers can’t be restricted from buying guns until they’ve been convicted (which most abusers never are).

7 Likes

6 Likes

Whenever I hear “keep calm and carry on” I always think of that scene in To Kill a Mockingbird where Gregory Peck (playing Atticus Finch) shoots the mad dog. Compassionate, considering, and efficiently effective.

That was pretty much the point.

It’s not necessarily the police and the courts who dropped the ball on that one, though. The system is set up to make it as difficult as possible to separate violent abusers from their guns.

3 Likes

Dammit, Dr. Hackenbush! Gets me every time, this one. But yeah, that’s how it’s done.

tumblr_no2hkwGLBa1tfbtrwo1_500

2 Likes

Sometimes it did and sometimes it didn’t.
But doing it made me feel better than not doing it.

1 Like

Well, she’s right in one aspect, ‘sickening’ is le mot juste here.

1 Like

When Trump gave his sound bite about the incident, saying that journalists deserve to work free of the fear of violent attack, I kept expecting him to say, “Ya know, it’s summertime. Maybe we should arm a dozen off-duty teachers and send them over to patrol the place.”

2 Likes

Despite their rhetoric, they’re spineless cowards. It’s why I don’t really fear a redneck uprising.

1 Like

Good point.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.