Car detailer documents his worst case, an 18-hour transformation

Even if that van is not rocking, don’t bother knocking.

3 Likes

Pretty much, yes.

2 Likes

My guess was that they allowed themselves to be filmed in exchange for a discount, perhaps

3 Likes

If they have a number of small children, and they’re eating most of their meals (and snacks) in the car, they very well might have been picking up garbage, too - and quite a lot of it. I imagine there were also heaps of wrappers, empty bottles, etc. that were disposed of just before it got to this guy. This is just what got past them, over two years…

2 Likes

Yeah, they probably got a lot of >$1000 estimates.

2 Likes

I have learned that a person’s car is not necessarily a reflection of their cleanliness elsewhere in their lives. I’ve seen pristine vehicles owned by hoarders, and cars like the OP owned by people whose houses are spotless. Humans are weird.

4 Likes

I’m a bit surprised about the way the cleaning is done with the vacuum cleaner. It will looks good on the outside, but they surely would like to lift a bit the carpet, especially around the holes.
All the crumb trapped between metal and carpet will start to melt on a wet weather. Be sure the metal will rot there.
I understand the idea of “cleaning what you can see”, but on this case; more should be done with maybe some dismantling.

1 Like

All of the above comments pretty much covered my thoughts as I watched this whole thing.

My primary thought was that this video didn’t relax me. My disgust from the before state didn’t lead to a satisfying feel at the end state; I just really wanted him to not give the car back.

However, I also want a list of some of his cleaning chemicals, because damn.

3 Likes

Thanks for a genuine LOL. That is a nicely nerdy joke.

Has there been a Hollywood/Straight-to-Video movie about the Detailing Scene? It looks like something that would suit itself to a rags-to-riches tale of the underdog taking on the big Detailing Krew. Maybe our guys are faced with a toxic clean-up to keep their LA Detailing Licence; a job for which they are ill-equipped (cue heist to score the relevant PPE). “Cleainin’ Up!”, “Victory in Detail”, “Buffers”?

3 Likes

There is something to be said for doing all this at once. I surely spent more than 18 hours over 2 years when I was habitually detailing my car. But totally worth it not to live with that toxic waste.

1 Like

True. I was thinking more of my mom and step-father, who’s cars and house are trash pits.

Damn. :rofl: That could work. The classic ‘little guy makes good’ formula. The basic story could easily leverage off the range of interesting clientele. The ‘good guy’ detailers — their equipment sabotaged by their evil nemesis detailer — could bounce back with weird, improvised techniques. As to anything like we’re discussing here, I can’t answer. The closest thing I know of is Used Cars (1980) It’s definitely a dark comedy. School buddies and I enjoyed it back in the day, and were surprised by several familiar faces. I wouldn’t argue with anyone who found it to be a guilty pleasure. My younger self found it to be funny as heck! I think I’ll revisit it.

2 Likes

It’s easy: you have to run errands at lunch or you have half an hour to get to your next customer or you’re going to be on the road for the next eight hours anyway so you might as well eat while you’re driving. No, it’s not ideal, but sometimes eating in the car is a reasonable sacrifice.

Having said that, eventually I learned to clean the damn car out when I got gas.

I find that it’s often easier to have kids eat in the car, because hungry kids don’t make for engaging travel companions. We wouldn’t eat the junk that passes for food in service stations anyway, so we let them eat the stuff we bring in the car, and if we do make a break, we’d rather have them spend the time with some physical activities.

But even with three kids eating in the car, I have no idea how someone can make a mess like this in a 2 year old car. I recommend they get a dog, that would solve the french fries thing elegantly. I also know dogs that eat crayons.

3 Likes

I…I…ok, this is disturbing on so many levels I’m not sure where to start. So, I won’t. Except to say, really nice work, detail man.

This might be the last chance to see things like this, because of future car designs that feature a simple ripcord to loosen and vacuum everything inside, or detailers from 2030 on who just leave every inch improved with displays, devices, and other instruments. With the fire control and air fryer consoles in, it gets to be a lot of things to remove to get ‘extracting’ carpets (which is cleaning them in place with the Bissell et al, not removing them and then doing that.)

2 Likes

I would have called an exterminator first.

The detailer mentioned he had to clean up pet hair out of the carpet, so they must have had a dog at some point.

Good grief, how many wild animals children do these people have? There were french fries jammed in the seat belt fasteners.

(I edited out animals because short of a grizzly bear locked in the car, wild animals couldn’t do that much damage in two years.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.