Car-free activists disabling self-driving cars with traffic cones in San Francisco

4 Likes

season 9 GIF

:wink:

8 Likes

As if the real grift wasn’t the active dismantling of public infrastructure in favor of individualized cars…

12 Likes

I personally hope they are programmed to not move with anything on the hood, windshield, roof, trunk, etc as that is almost never an intended state for a vehicle.

6 Likes

Shit, yah, that bit hasn’t aged well now that you mention it. As though “public transportation” is some sort of grift, or ever has been.

6 Likes

I mean… the monorail episode is still funny of course. Plus, I’m guessing the episode is meant to lampoon, not public transit in general, but corporations looking to benefit from public infrastructure projects. Public-private partnerships (which are common in US public infrastructure projects, especially since the second world war) have their own problematic histories.

12 Likes

Lisa asks why they need a mass transit system in a small town with a centralized population. They should of course have buses…but I could imagine some know-nothing billionaire trying to sell them on the promise of a Hyperloop instead…

11 Likes

But we already have this! The Teslas in that tunnel under Las Vegas!
True, they haven’t grocked the put-em’-on-rails bit yet, but I hear their boss is a disruptive genius, so they might get around to it any day now.

11 Likes

This is an old trick. The Equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington hasn’t moved from outside Glasgow’s Gallery of Modern Art in decades.

16 Likes

This is one reason Southern California traffic is so infuriating. In the Northeast everyone follows waaay too close, so it’s not as pronounced. Sometimes when you’re on a long hill you can see it happening in real time.

4 Likes

It’s definitely not, but outspoken public transportation advocate Adam Something does a pretty good job breaking down why monorails specifically are usually a bad solution in practice.

In a way monorails are a scam that supports the private-automobile-centric status quo because the promise of monorails is “We can add a public transit system to your community without taking away any of the space used for your precious, precious roads!”

5 Likes

And again, again:

4 Likes

Because TRADITION!!!

1 Like
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.