Casio calculator watch better than Apple Watch

[Read the post]

1 Like

Trying to decide if I should show this to the wife… She constantly laments the loss of her Casio data/calculator watch, although she won’t get a new one because her Nerd Force is not strong enough to handle the razzing that she gets from friends/family.

1 Like

I went with a bit of overkill - http://geekwatchapp.com

1 Like

May I recommend the Casio A158W-1, which is sort of the Stainless Steel Apple Watch With Link Bracelet to the F-91W’s Apple Watch Sport With Fluoelastomer Band. Without the $600 premium.

*I actually have the A168W-1, which is pretty much the same thing but with better backlit screen, uglier-to-me steel band design, and $3 more expensive. Either is fine.

1 Like

You need to support her better, because she is right and they are wrong.

8 Likes

The one I mourn is the scientific calculator version of the databank. Back before I learned CAD in the early 90’s I used graph paper and trigonometry to design. It also had real glass, unlike the easily scratchable plastic crap Casio currently uses on it’s low end watches. Bizarrely, the last Databank I had they finally made the case out of real stainless but made the screen cover out of plastic.

After wearing Casio for decades I currently have my 1st Timex ani-digi on order.

1 Like

I’ve had one of these for a couple of years now - I really wanted one badly as a kid but never got it then so it’s a cheap way for me to kick childhood disappointment in the teeth. I wear it with great geek pride. I’ll reserve judgement about how it measures up to the apple watch when I see that one.

1 Like

In 1992 I had a talking digital wrist watch. Similar to this: http://productos-para-ciegos.com.mx/photo_465385_Reloj-Parlante-Sencillo.html

The battery lasted well over a year. It was able to tell the time when a button was pressed and had an alarm-clock functionality with beautiful rooster crowing sound and time announcement. I still have big night-stand version from the same company and it tells the time in Russian.

1 Like

Dangit, I had one of these waaaaaay back when. Guess I should’ve held on to it, instead of succumbing to the seduction of Swatch.

1 Like

She said that you are very wise and that I should listen to you then I showed all of your other posts to her…

6 Likes

I had a couple of these in the past and loved them, more really for their dorkiness than anything else. Unfortunately, two years seems to be about their life-time as the display would fade away (altho they would still keep time).

How about the literary reviews of Mr Men books?

1 Like

O.k. so my watch’s days are numbered, good to know.

1 Like

That’s the watch on my wrist right now. It’s not as elegant as my previous watch, the Timex Men’s T205019J Easy Reader Black Leather Strap Watch, but I still think it looks pretty good as digital watches go, and has a no-nonsense look to it.

2 Likes

When I was in Tokyo for the first time I bought the then-new Casio WV-M400DE-7ER. It struck me as the perfect and eternal watch: sleek stainless design, very comfortable clasp mechanism and 100% sufficient functionality. Additionally it receives 5 different radio bands for atomic time precision around the world and is also solar-powered! Eternal battery life, always 100% accurate time. I was in love with it since 2007. Even my girlfriend liked it so much she also bought a stainless digital Casio for herself.

It was also the reason I didn’t want to get an Apple Watch at first, simply because I wouldn’t want to part with it. But now it’s a nice ornament on my desk and keeps on dutifully beeping once every hour, hopefully until the end of time.

1 Like

I had one of these in the early 80s - it had a game in binary on it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.