Casio watch ring looks wonderfully ridiculous, but is sadly non-functional

Originally published at: Casio watch ring looks wonderfully ridiculous, but is sadly non-functional | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Well, at least it would be right twice a day?

2 Likes

only on sundays apparently ( if you care about the day )

i wonder what the significance of 10:58:50 is. seems more specific than if they chose 12:00:00 or something

2 Likes

The curious thing is apparently functional models do exist, e.g. amazon

4 Likes

Sounds like it could be Pearl Harbor.

I used to have a Databank! Two of them, actually, but sadly, I lost one, replaced it, and then somehow lost the other one. I dunno if the bands were shit or what.

Shortly after that I just stopped wearing a watch.

3 Likes

And even then, only once a day. In the picture it looks like 22:58:50 (although in 12H format). So once a week? Wait, actually much less than that … the date is 30. So it’s right once on each 30th of the month that happens to fall on a Sunday. That’s getting to be a pretty narrow filter!

3 Likes

oh! you’re right, that is a pm ( the linked article has better pictures )

rules out pearl harbor. ( phew international incident avoided ) @sqlrob

1 Like

I’m confused - the link you reference says " fully functional miniature casio watch rings are small enough to fit around fingers" - and in the article “Casio Japan states that the watch rings might last for 20 years without replacing their batteries, and given that they have a monochromatic digital display, this might be a possibility.”

3 Likes

We had the box for an iHome clock sitting around for a long time after we bought it, and every image was set to 10:09. I spent a weird amount of time wondering why they might’ve picked that time to display. No interesting theories to report, but I really like the way this particular clock breaks up the subshapes of the digits, so maybe it showcases those particularly well?

What is going on with those product pics? Rings in a cherry pie, shot right down that woman’s shirt, the shirtless tat shot but while wearing a cravat?

3 Likes

These words do not make sense…… looks a link: these words are true but still make no sense.

4 Likes

they’re saying the ring might not need a battery replacement because there is no battery ( technically correct. the best kind of correct. :cat: )

But all of these might be just a hint of humor since these watches, while they may look fully functional, work perfectly as toys and for aesthetic purposes. One of the models even has a built-in calculator so the wearer can be given the feeling of breaking down and calculating their expenses while walking without needing a smartphone.

… lots of interesting photos of ring watches

of course who knows if they work

aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-finger-ring-watch.html

I’m not sure, and I’m also worried about what’s going on with this person’s fingers:

1 Like

The article is confusingly written, especially when as I pointed out above, you consider the title says “fully functional”

3 Likes

well, it’s fully functional in that you can wear it i guess. otherwise, it wouldn’t really be a ring :person_shrugging:

10:10-ish is the traditional time used to display analog watches. It is considered aesthetically pleasing and the hands don’t obscure the most common locations for writing, logos, date windows etc.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.