Casualties are expected when Stanford students fight for seats in a new course studying Taylor Swift

I believe he is mistaken regarding the popularity of Taylor Swift and how enthusiastic people will be to take the class. No one will be just filling in a “you need 3 units of something useless” thing with this class. This will be one of the most demanded courses of the year.

1 Like

The far right it determined to destroy the humanities, and they point to courses like this to do so. As if the massive amount of wealth and cultural power that Swift has generated in her career is unimportant… primarily, of course, because she’s a woman, and the stuff that girls like is often dismissed and derided as unimportant… It’s not, of course.

What depresses me is how often people who don’t consider themselves to be on the right fall for this shit, too.

7 Likes

Circling back to @beschizza 's Elfquest obsession, my cousin took a couple of courses on Elfquest at the University at Buffalo back in the late '80s. I was envious.

3 Likes

No, it was a comment to the sentence below the one I quoted:

These types of classes are graded as “satisfactory” or “non-satisfactory” and do not count toward students’ GPAs.

So IIRC, I had a letter grade, vs a satisfactory/non-satisfactory grade. That’s all.

And to clarify, I don’t think that a course like the Taylor Swift course is any less rigorous than any other college course. And if I were to throw shade at a college course, PE classes generally are less rigorous as “real” courses. IIRC, you just had to show up, more or less. The riflery course was the only one I can remember taking where your actual performance on the tests affected your grade.

Oh no, I have no illusions that the course is going to be very popular with fans, and not full of people looking for an “easy pass” class. If it was a KMFDM class in 1997, I would have been first in line!

I was saying that riflery was an area of my interest, and so the fact I could take that to meet my PE requirements instead of a boring gym class that I would hate, made me excited to take the course. I even took one more semester than I need to, as I enjoyed it. As I am sure Swift fans will be excited to take a course on her music.

I took 3 semesters of archery as an undergrad to satisfy my PE requirements. I loved it. And if there had been an Elfquest class at Texas A&M in the late 80s, I would have been all over it.

2 Likes

Prof. Hopkins, I presume:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.