Caterpillar padlocks all use the same key

Years ago, I must have been really bored, I found out that the key to my bike lock fit one of the classrooms in my old high school. Tried it on more doors, but only that one worked. Completely random, makes me think how many locks use the same configuration without anyone realizing it.

3 Likes

All the Brink’s door locks at my Wallmart are keyed the same. All are key numbered 999.

1 Like

2 Likes

You could have just bought a key. There are two different thermostat lock box keys. This is the one for that one… thermostat key

In the old days if we thought someone had a key we would remove the wires from the existing stat and just leave it on the wall. People would play with it all day, and swear it got better. The real stat was hidden.

Not to go on a rant, but if there are three people in an office with one sensor, I promise you no one is happy.

Now that most larger buildings have sensors, and are connected to a main system, we can build logic that picks up people trying to fool the system by heating or cooling the sensors.

Case in point, in a large hospital they had a meeting area that they were going to have about 200 people in. I got a frantic call that the room was 80 degrees, and emails were being sent out left right and center. My system spit out an email declaring that the room had warmed up from 72 to 80 degrees in less than 5 minutes, and that was virtually impossible. Winds up the caterer put the coffee urn right below the sensor, and no one ever went into the room to see if it was actually 80 in there. When asked why we did this we told them it is there to find out if people are trying to trick the sensors.

2 Likes

I prefer a thermal lance, the ultimate master key.

kr-ladle1053

All you need is oxygen and bacon to make one. Look up Theo Gray. These are what they use to cut bridges out of the earth embankments themselves. Cuts. Through. ANYTHING. Even the damn ground, the dirt itself gets vaporized

6 Likes

Case, DitchWitch, most companies in the industry use one key. Keypads are relatively new to heavy equipment.

1 Like

I have trouble watching LPL due to his patient lilt. My solution is to watch them at 1.5x, and then he sounds like a normal fast-talking Northeasterner to me.

Knipex.
Made in Germany. They have a lifetime limited warranty and demand a receipt showing that you are the original owner if you ever warranty it.

I am saving up. No batteries necessary. I can keep them in my vehicle(s).

I am so sick using crap bolt cutters that don’t cut well, or the geometry is off, or I need a breaker bar for decent leverage. And the profit-treadmill for variable speed cordless angle grinders is all about the proprietary rechargeable batteries. It gets damn hot here in Austin for months at a time, and continually topping off the batteries, praying all the while that the lil’ darlins don’t catch on fire, is a drag.

3 Likes

At first it seemed like a good idea, only have one key, but as the sales surged into the millions it became increasingly difficult to pass that key around between the people that needed to unlock their padlocks, so that currently it actually takes 15 hours to unlock your caterpillar lock, 2 minutes to put in the request for the key - 14 hours 58 minutes to receive the key.

6 Likes

I am always suspicious of “lifetime” warranties. To me it sounds like it’s guaranteed until it ceases to work.

2 Likes

Very good value for money. Well, they started making pliers in 1882 and really got the hang of it now.
They just work. They’ll do what they are designed for, and a lot of other stuff if you have to improvise. Yet you’ll have to be really clumsy to break one.
My only issue with them is that they don’t do factory sale - it would only be a short drive for me.
https://www.knipex.com/nc/en/home/

2 Likes

And I keep losing stuff I lock up with Caterpillar padlocks!

HK Porter apparently has a well-made cable-cutter. From the OP, LockPickingLawyer posted this:

Will have to make sure that the bolt-cutters I get next are certified to cut actual steel and not copper and aluminum wire–Knipex generally makes tools for electricians. Thanks to LPL I learned something new today about tools rated to specific materials.

2 Likes

I worked at a southern California multiplex cinema over the summer and one day, a woman who looked like she’d been in a sauna exits from one of the auditoriums, the movie only being about halfway through. “It’s so hot in there… can you do anything about the heat? Maybe the A/C is broken?”

I go into the auditorium to have a look at the thermostat (on the wall right next to the exit door) and see that someone had placed an ice-filled 32-ounce soft drink cup on the clear plastic housing surrounding the thermostat.

The HVAC system had set out to melt the ice in the cup.

3 Likes

They have pliers for cutting bolt ends and rebar and stuff like that.
You’ll find something that’ll do the job.

2 Likes

In case anyone was wondering:

Note that even though there are many eyes monitoring aircraft movement, last summer, a disgruntled employee was somehow able to take off in a company Dash 8 and fly around Puget Sound for the last joy ride of his life. I’m not sure how he was able to just taxi onto a runway and take off from the nation’s 9th busiest airport (or maybe it was so busy that nobody noticed him?)

1 Like

You are preaching to the choir with your Knipex recommendation. I love Knipex tools, I have two pair of the 12 inch cobra pliars, one pair of the 16 inch pliars, mini bolt cutter, smooth parallel jaw pliars. The build quality and reliability of the Knipex tools I have used is top shelf.

2 Likes

The doors of the airplanes are not keyed like a car. There is not an ignition key like a car. The setup in aviation in America is we secure the airfield.

clara-see-what

3 Likes

Years ago, I must have been really bored, I found the handle of my fork fit the driver door of my mates 1988 VL Commodore during my lunch break at my old high school. Tried it on the other 3 doors, but only that one worked. Completely stuffed lock, made me realise I could easily steal his car if I wanted to.