CBS News: "Shrieking" heard from Jeffrey Epstein's cell the morning he died

Right, but in that case it’s gone further: it’s failed to report something important that it knows (that it wasn’t or couldn’t have been Epstein shrieking) and that failure would be a much worse one than clickbait.

For example, if an editor removed a line implying the time or owner of the shriek, to justify the clicky ambiguity of the headline, they’d better hope no-one else has the same source as them.

10 Likes

There probably wasn’t a conspiracy to murder him, but there’s certainly a tacit conspiracy to keep this radiantly irrelevant subject in the headlines. The conspirators are Turmp (who feasts on all conspiracy theories as the antidote to his old enemy, reality) and the media (who prefer lurid sexmurder guesses to boring, audience-repellent news that someone has to research).

There is no scenario where paying attention to this will make you smarter, happier, or a better person. MAXIMUM IGNORE

4 Likes

The guards said “breathe, Epstein, breathe.”

I wish law enforcement had been as concerned with Eric Garner’s respiratory health.

13 Likes

CBS News, yikes

https://web.archive.org/web/20160812202522/https://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2016/08/10/the-list-of-clinton-associates-whove-died-mysteriously-check-it-out/

9 Likes

Maybe there were purple drapes.

2 Likes

I hope that you’re not implying that the ongoing Epstein case isn’t newsworthy.

Billionaires ran a goddamn underage sex trafficking ring the details and scope of which are just now emerging, the people involved are still in tremendous positions of power and the victims are just now in the earliest stages of seeking justice.

Yes, Trump’s crimes deserve to be in the headlines. So does the Epstein story.

14 Likes

There are at least 4 for sure who are shaking in their collective boots:

10 Likes

The big question is what is going to happen to the 16mm home films, videos & photos of rich dudes having sex with underage girls?
(If this is a start of a new thread, good.)

It absolutely is; I just wish all the ceaseless sensationalism wasn’t such a factor.

4 Likes

I take your point, but I also think that the children Epstein abused and supplied to the rich and powerful also deserve to have the people who abused them identified and punished if possible. There is approximately a .1% chance that someone like Trump or Clinton would ever actually be held responsible for what they did with Epstein, but that .1% goes to 0% if its ignored.

3 Likes
5 Likes

What I can’t figure out is:

Where are the LIHOP people?

1 Like

Awww I wanted to steal that from twitter and post it here but you beat me to it

He’s clearly part of the problem.

3 Likes

CBS from what I can see exists between Fox News and NBC news. Definitely older, more conservative audience.

Smells more like Oliver Stone!

2 Likes

He’s gone now due to his (surprise!) sexually harassing women, but his craptastic attitude lives on at what was once the home of Murrow, Cronkite, and the Wallace/Safer-era “60 Minutes”.

9 Likes

You can lobby for a simple explanation all you want, but it doesn’t change key facts that need to be considered: the guy was already “convicted” of sex-trafficking and was given an absurd deal that included a promise not to prosecute his co-conspirators and a jail sentence in a facility where he could come and go as he pleased and the door to his cell was left unlocked at night.
It looks to me like he was protected by the people he had information on until it wouldn’t work anymore and then he was eliminated because they didn’t want this guy taking the stand and testifying. If that could be accomplished by putting the wrong guard in the room with the guy and letting nature take its course then all the better.

7 Likes

I never, and I mean never, give any credence to conspiracy theories. Except for this one. Your explanation here is pretty much what I think happened. It’s crazy.

I heard something about that this morning. Apparently they are so short staffed that a rule was recently relaxed that had mandated that only properly trained guards could do the guarding. Now that the rule has been relaxed, other prison staff-- adminstrative, teachers, etc. --can be pressed into service, and that was apparently what they are referring to.

2 Likes