CDC: 'coronavirus is inevitable.' Trump: 'not inevitable.'

Any bets that Trump will tell any of his rocket scientist followers that happen to contract it that they don’t have it, there is no need to worry, and to go about their business?

3 Likes

Good question, and one I really hope we never have to answer. :pray:

4 Likes

That’s typically the case but even with the flu you can have odd variants like in 1918 where the mortality rate for people in their 20’s was higher than for some younger kids. Check out this weird “W-shaped” mortality graph for the 1918 flu:

7 Likes
3 Likes

The 1918 flu was thought to kill the young adults by cytokine storm - a systemic inflammation that can be thought of as the immune system’s burning down the body to get at the infection. Patients with mild immunocompromise may have fared better with the 1918 virus than their healthier peers!

Any infection can trigger cytokine release syndrome, but CoVID-19 doesn’t appear to be following the pattern of the 1918 flu. Fewer than 1 percent of otherwise-healthy patients have died from it, but the elderly and ill die in much greater numbers, suggesting that in this case at least, a healthy immune system is an asset rather than a liability.

As with most viral diseases, the best protective measure anyone can take is washing their *&!@#$ hands.

13 Likes

There is also a theory that a pretty nasty flu strain that circulated in 1898-99(?) was similar enough to the 1918 strain that the generation that went through that was partially immune and so dealt better with the pandemic strain. As with most things like this, it’s more complicated that any single factor. Biology is always gonna be a science rife with squishy imprecision.

13 Likes
3 Likes

This concept is also associated with some cancers, and was actually discovered in the late 1800’s, where some cancers could be eradicated when the patients were infected with streptococcus. It was considered a fringe treatment for nearly a century, and then was brought back. Capitalizing on certain viruses is now a central idea of modern immunotherapies and probably how we will eventually conquer all forms of cancer, as cancer is essentially an autoimmune disease as much as it is mutagenic.

In the case of the Spanish Flu of 1918, coinfection by streptococcus INCREASED mortality:

3 Likes

They’re going to fix this with messaging. Only Pence can say what’s happening. And what’s happening is everything is fine. :dog: :coffee: :fire:

3 Likes

It occurs to me that Trump may have thought this would be over by April because he’s used to television seasons, and plot devices like epidemics don’t extend past the season finale?

7 Likes

Bernie Sanders to Mike Pence: Is the Coronavirus Going to Catch Your Prayer Hands Like the Last Epidemic You Faced?

6 Likes

The original CDC testing kits were flawed, and they won’t have new ones until March. Until then, make do.

5 Likes

Just saw a report on this. Current kits only have a sensitivity of 30-60%. Nowhere near good enough. A paper out of China actually suggests chest CT as the most accurate screening test. Now if we could only come up with a few thousand more CT machines! Although if the $3500 price tag on the aforementioned test kits is accurate, chest CTs might be cheaper!

Another interesting tidbit I stumbled across: If, like me, you are taking losartin for high blood pressure, you are probably relatively protected from COVID-19 as it blocks the ACE-2 receptor I was talking bout earlier.

10 Likes

Mom’s Teva Candesartan is Angiotensin II receptor blocker, not quite the same. Pity.

eta: Wait, maybe it is.

ACE inhibitor is what you need. Lizard in is the most common but thete are others

Edit for brain fart. Not ACE, ARB. Angiotensin receptor blocker.

1 Like

Sorry for the brain fart. Hate it when that happens.

2 Likes

Good Book. Lots of footnotes. Probably obsolete.

I was wondering why they were talking about possible shortages of blood pressure meds but hadn’t been able to find out more info.

I was concerned because I’m taking an ACE inhibitor for my kidneys.

5 Likes

Those are true-true unrelated facts. The pending shortage of generic antihypertensives (and antibiotics) is due to most (90% by report) requiring raw materials from China during manufacture. I don’t think the ARB-as-prophylaxis tidbit is common enough knowledge that supplies are threatened yet due to demand. Give it a couple days though!

4 Likes