Trump suggested using the flu vaccine to cure coronavirus

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/03/trump-suggested-using-the-flu.html

6 Likes

Someone may have told him that cowpox prevents smallpox, and he got confused. Or he could just be a fucking jackass.

(WhyNotBoth.gif)

25 Likes

You should get the flu shot. Of course Trump is not very bright and he thinks that it will stop the Corona virus. Everyone else knows it’s caused by drinking Corona beer. What a maroon.

16 Likes

I wish death and suffering on no one.

With that said, an event like this beings Darwinism front and center. Rubes who believe the Trump over actual doctors, those misled viewers who purchase sham colloidal silver “protection” from Jim Bakker, the anti-vaxxers who believe their immune systems are protection enough will be the ones who suffer the most and some percentage will ultimately die from their misinformation. Sadly though, they will also be part of the infection chain that assist the disease to spread to others along the way…

Edit: Spelling

10 Likes

51 Likes

One reason why we don’t kill is because we are not used to it. I never killed anybody, but I have done just the same thing. I have had a great deal of satisfaction over many obituary notices that I have read. I never got into the habit of killing. I could mention the names of many that it would please me if I could read their obituaries in the paper in the morning.

In Darrow’s 1932 memoir he wrote a short version that decades later would be suitable for tweeting.

3 Likes

Except the correlation between “people who believe Trump’s brand of science” and “people who will die in a widespread viral outbreak of this kind” is weak at best.

16 Likes

Just the Lump of Trump trying to put words into the mouths of the experts and create a false narrative that will save his re-election.

2 Likes

It’s like the entirety of Dumb & Dumber were smooshed up, given legs, arms, silly hair, and the Presidency of the United States. At least he didn’t just start making an annoying sound until they stopped saying what he didn’t want to hear.

15 Likes

They really are missing an opportunity telling him to drink bleach.

25 Likes

I don’t see why all the fuss.
Spring will be here soon and many people tell me that warmer weather defeats infectious diseases***.

***Spanish Flu excepted of course. As many as 17 million people died in India, about 5% of the population. And everyone is saying it doesn’t get very warm there.

13 Likes

Leaving aside that Trump doesn’t understand how vaccines work (that he thought a flu vaccine would work on COVID-19, and that he’s only asking that now, in public, is just… whoo boy), but the more worrisome bit of this story is that after having it explained to him that the vaccine would take at least 12-18 months, after everyone at that meeting thought that finally he understood this, he then, later that same day, made public announcements about how the vaccine would be ready “very soon” and a drug to combat the virus “even sooner.”

This is one of those situations where Trump’s inability to learn comes up against his total disregard for the truth - you can’t tell how much of each of those is contributing to his spewing falsehoods.

42 Likes

He doesn’t care if the rubes die full of false hope that rescue is around the corner. As long as the stock market stays up.

9 Likes

I have to say he seems a little more interested in this topic than others. I’ve never seen him actually ask a question and listen to the response. Before I watched that second video I would have assumed it would go like this: “a lot of people are telling me that you can use the flu vaccine to cure corona and it will be ready in 3 months. So that’s great.” But in this case, as wrong as his hypothesis is at least he is asking if this is something that could work. Still hate him though. Let’s vote him out.

6 Likes

Compared to nuking hurricanes…

Meanwhile:

Trump Kills Unborn Baby Boys!

5 Likes

Watched a Fox news host today (playing at the gym, not my choice) tell his gullible viewers that covid-19 was nothing to worry about, that if he got it he would be fine “because of my healthy lifestyle and positive attitude” and that the dems were ginning up fear to hurt Trump. If there is any justice, he will get the chance to test that hypothesis. We can only hope!

13 Likes

I heard Russians have something that fights all kinds of different viruses. ‘Kaspensky’ or something. Trump should fire those so-called experts.

11 Likes

Every day, I become more convinced that Republicans are trying to do whatever they can to ensure we all die ASAP, freeing up the resources and removing any obstacles to the inevitable corporate takeover.

4 Likes

I would have thought the the mainstream media (by which,. I mean nytimes.com, and damn the rest) have pretty much explained the whole seasonality of flu vaccines.

and even going strictly by taxonomy

the two don’t match at a very basic level.

2 Likes

NOBODY KNEW HEALTHCARE WAS SO COMPLICATED

30 Likes