Trump CDC tells states to get ready for COVID-19 vaccine by November 1 — just two days before the election

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/02/trump-cdc-tells-states-to-get.html

7 Likes

Average time to onset of nasty side effects: 3 days.

35 Likes

Great! So we can vote him out AND get a vaccine all in the same week!

19 Likes

B U L L S H I T

With gas fire on top.

35 Likes

Timing seems a bit off for this. By Nov 1, a large number of people will have already voted by mail. CAN such a late implementation really influence the election that much?

20 Likes

The mere announcement of it is supposed to whip people into a pro-Trump frenzy. Like, finally, a vaccine! Wait we hate vaccines! Wtf, we don’t know what to think, aaaaaaah!

“I’ma razzle em. I’ma dazzle em. They won’t know what hit em.”

34 Likes

I have been telling people for a while that Trump might announce a vaccine just before the election. It will just be an announcement - there doesn’t have to actually be a vaccine. Just announce it. And once people find out it was a fake announcement it won’t matter because the election will have already happened. He’ll get his second term by simply lying.

30 Likes

The announcement is all about the stock market. Delaying the inevitable crash. Pharm industry makes tons of cash.

Oh yeah, and stupid AF people.

23 Likes

Well, it’s September now, though. The announcement itself is for the mail-in votes.

8 Likes

Is best vaccine. Comrade Trump is getting good price.

11 Likes

That sugar placebo is gonna feel sooooooooooooooo gooooooooooood.

6 Likes

Nope. Nopety nope nope. No. No fucking way. Not gonna happen. But plenty will believe it because the God Emporer says so.

26 Likes

The important thing for influencing the election is not when, or even if, a vaccine becomes available. The important thing is that Trump will be able to announce a vaccine before the election. In effect he just has.

“Our savior has brought us a cure!!” is going to rally the base whether the vaccine turns out to be a dud or not.

19 Likes

He is a virologist, but…

14 Likes

But imaginary vaccines WON’T stop people from getting sick and dying; how much do they have to lose before the willful cognitive dissonance stops finally overriding their instinct for self preservation?

Nobody fucking answer that question; it was obvs rhetorical and I’m perfectly capable of imaging the horror for myself, all too well.

28 Likes

Shoves hands in pockets and kicks some dust

25 Likes

Aaaaargh! That is garbage math!!

There are so many bad assumptions baked into that. First up, how many people, after being “vaccinated”, will head out to their local super spreader party, assuming that they are protected? How many will stop wearing masks or doing the other things to keep their resistance high?

So, NO, trust (faith) is not as important as a vaccine that actually works with a high percentage.

And if they screw up, destroying public trust, then where are we?

eta: Ah yes, I forgot the other end: How many people will be forced back to work in environments where the PPE and social distancing have been revoked now that they have the very best placebo?

23 Likes

Isn’t that the day the asteroid almost comes close to the Earth?

And we need details on any vaccine. It may not work on everyone (because of existing things) and I can imagine there may be side effecrs for some people.

I’d gladly get the vaccine early (though likely there’ll be priority) but I may be out of the running, which means waiting till everyone else gets their vaccination.

3 Likes

People have been warning about this for a while now - to be prepared for the Trump administration to claim to have a vaccine just a few days before the election, even if no such thing was remotely real, because it would take more than a few days for anyone to chase down the facts, respond and point out it didn’t exist. By which time the lie will have had the desired impact.

Any actual information before that time would give people enough time to dig into it and find out it was bullshit, though. There’s a high likelihood that they don’t have anything but the announcement itself.

Yeah, people have been trying to get the media prepared for this strategy, because it’s so… Trumpian. Just blatantly lie about something because, by the time the truth comes out, the lie will have had the desired effect.

Yeah, they may not even have anything planned beyond this, even. Just announce that they’ll have a later announcement, making sure to heavily imply at the very least that there’s a vaccine (that doesn’t exist), but give no actual information. No one can debunk it, because no actual claim has been made.

A disturbing thought is that Trump doesn’t care - once he has that second term, he can fix things such that he no longer relies on the cognitive dissonance of his base, but cements power for himself/his family/his hand-picked successors, regardless of how little support he has by then.

16 Likes

Are you kidding???

I know HE doesn’t care, ever, about anything that isn’t him.

I’m talking about the base of evil idiots that support and enable him.

28 Likes