A majority of Americans wouldn't rush to get a Covid-19 vaccination, poll finds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/03/a-majority-of-americans-wouldn.html

4 Likes

I’m as pro-vax as they come, but existing vaccines have been strongly tested. With all the corners being cut to rush a covid-19 vaccine to production, even a reasonable person would have grounds to worry about safety issues.

39 Likes

It’s interesting, though, that a plurality of folks’ worries seem to be directly related to the anti-vaxx, anti-science disinformation campaign that’s been raging for some time now. And by “interesting,” I mean “incredibly disheartening.”

Everybody be sure to thank Oprah the next time they see her for doing her part in stoking the fires of ignorance with scientific luminaries like Jenny McCarthy.

19 Likes

Correction: A majority of people who were actually reached to answer a poll and asked specific questions won’t “rush” to get a vaccine.

I’m fairly risk averse, but this is one of those places I’ll take a risk. Maybe I’ll even get superpowers or something.

12 Likes

I love it how these people think that they can actually escape the vaccination. Boy, will that thought process change the first time the security guard at their work asks for a proof of vaccination before they can go to work. No vaccination, no work. I think getting concerned about people’s opinion in this particular case is a moot point.

7 Likes

I’ve been trying to figure out how to express my reservations without sounding like an anti-vax nutter. I don’t trust this administration with anything. How can I trust them with developing a well-researched and tested vaccine without cutting safety corners? I’d be an awful lot more accepting of the eventual vaccine if it came from an administration whose entire MO weren’t based in slashing oversight and hurting people who they don’t value.

18 Likes

Be extremely skeptical of surveys like this. The precise wording of the question massively swings results one way or the other, and the reporting on such surveys often draws conclusions not supported by what the exact question being asked was. People leap to a lot of general conclusions based on a specific question asked of a small number of people. Furthermore, 1000 people is not a very large sample in a country of 300 million. Where are those 1000 people from? Were they self-selected because the survey was posted online somewhere? Was the data corrected for education level, socio-economic, age, and a thousand other factors?

23 Likes

This. Also… how did they reach folks? I know a lot of surveys are still land-line based, which knocks out a massive segment of the population.

7 Likes

This. This this this. Also, this.

I hate the timeline we’re in.

3 Likes

I also do not want to sound like an anti-vaxer, but the recent observations of the Covid related syndrome affecting children seems to be connected to inflammation of blood vessels AFTER a successful immune response to the infection. It is possible that a successful vaccine could produce a similar inflammation. It might turn out to only affect children and a small percentage of those. Still, there could be hundreds or even thousands of children affected. Maybe any vaccine should be deployed on adults first and children after further testing.

5 Likes

Cause they aren’t responsible for developing it. Private drug companies, universities, the WHO and other international orgs are.

They could still rush/fuck up approval and roll out. But you’ve got a hell of a lot of other countries who are generally better and more cautious about that sort of thing. Europe in particular. So if you don’t see anyone else adopt it or the WHO advocating for it, you’ll know there’s an issue.

And doctors and scientists won’t be quiet if there’s an issue. They have an ethical obligation to call it out, and that whole peer review thing means doing so is the default approach.

The " covid related syndrome" is Kawasaki Disease. It can be dangerous, but it is treatable. Generally self limiting and only rarely deadly. It’s not a chronic, persistent or permanent situation.

All of my siblings and I had it as a child (family is prone to autoimmune conditions).

10 Likes

Do you really think that will be easily enforceable on a nationwide scale when huge swaths of the country are dedicated to anti-vaccination, anti-science and anti-“big government?”

3 Likes

14 Likes

of course. i am talking about companies and their rules, whereas you are talking about the society and government.

1 Like

Yep, especially if Trump was pushing its release ahead of the election. I’d definitely wait a while in that case.

3 Likes

Not everyone works for large companies that would have the will or the ability to enforce such a rule.

1 Like

“Would you be willing to be vaccinated against COVID, knowing all the side effects THEY are hiding about vaccines, which as we all know are completely untested and literal poison?”

Yeah, I’m not buying the credibility of this until I see the question wording. And I trust Fauci, he’s been one of the only sane people in this whole thing.

3 Likes

i agree with that. but if i a a restaurant owner, for example, in order for my business to survive, i will need to reassure my customers that my restaurant is a safe place for them. i can do that by insisting that my workers and future workers are vaccinated.

4 Likes

After the healthcare and first responders get priority vaccine shots (probably 1,000,000 + people) it will be safe enough for me and my loved ones. .1 to 30% fatal for Covid-19 (depending on age) vs .0001% for a dangerous reaction or side effects to the shot? Driving will be more risky then the shot.

2 Likes

Similar to Kawasaki, but different. Kawasaki usually affects children under 5. It is very rare. This is affecting people as old as 21 years. My point was, if you gave the vaccine to 380 million Americans you might get a few thousand people in the emergency room up to a month later with rashes and inflammation. If doctors are not prepared, they might not make the connection between an 18 year old with symptoms and a disease that usually affects 5 year olds. The treatment is immunoglobulin, maybe it should be stockpiled in advance just in case. If not treated within a short time it can cause permanent damage to coronary arteries, aneurysms and death. Doctors and hospitals should be educated and prepared in advance of the vaccine deployment. MIS-C

3 Likes