Watch: NYT goes to The Ozarks and interviews proudly unvaxxed people dying of Covid

Originally published at: Watch: NYT goes to The Ozarks and interviews proudly unvaxxed people dying of Covid | Boing Boing

12 Likes

“I’m more of a libertarian and I don’t like being told what I have to do.”

That’s the weirdest spelling of “I’m a clueless shit who thinks that a recommendation is a mandate, and because I’m stubborn to the point of death I’m willing to die rather than get a free vaccine that could have prevented all of this” that I’ve ever seen.

86 Likes

This is my hometown.

It’s a small, peaceful home town.

I know people in that hospital. I know people in that video.

66 Likes

Ahhhhhh…being stuck in a hospital bed with a ventilation mask strapped to your face. Mmm, feels like LIBERATION!

44 Likes

I wonder how Mr. Ventilator would feel if the doctors treating him approached their Hippocratic Oath the same way.

23 Likes

I’m so sorry.

39 Likes

Thanks.

But they made their decision. The sad thing is, now it’s too late. The hospitals are full. There are no beds. Even if you’re in the 36% who did get vaccinated, if you have anything more serious than a broken arm, you’re fuckin dead or getting on a helicopter to a state away. Maybe a jet to two states away. It takes five weeks for full vaccination, and the town simply doesn’t have the capability to handle it five weeks. The entire healthcare system is donezo.

62 Likes

The problem is that once you show symptoms, it’s too late for the vaccine to help you. In fact, there’s a very small window where the Regeneron monoclonal antibody treatment works - a window that closes before most philosophically conflicted patients admit that they are ill at all. With that (and the fact that a Regeron treatment is THOUSANDS of time more expensive than a preventative vaccine treatment), I’m not sure I support states who say “Reject the vaccine if you want to, if you become ill, we’ll give you the Regeneron treatment for free!”

35 Likes

Regeneron isn’t even available up there.

21 Likes

I’m sure those “libertarians” will pay all their bills in full as well. Otherwise they’d be stealing the medical staff’s labor, and then the government making up for the lack of payment would then be enslaving the masses for the benefit of this libertarian. Since ancaps love to say that taxation is slavery, after all.

52 Likes

“That’s libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.”
– Kim Stanley Robinson

67 Likes

I’m sorry you’re having to go through this. We’re in the same boat (Amarillo, Texas) ~200,000 people, medical facilities serve a region with about 1 million. No emergency services are available locally now. We’ve recently had to medivac anyone in a car accident to New Mexico. I wonder if it’s the same in Mountain Home, in that the city here worked hard to vaccinate everyone and to use lockdowns and masks, but got no support from the state or Governor, just the opposite.

29 Likes

It’s actually quite the opposite. The state has tried hard to get people to the right thing, and the town has done the opposite and pushed back at every point.

18 Likes

My fullest sympathies. Lost of places are in that boat now. It did not have to be like this!

29 Likes

Regeron treatment is THOUSANDS of time more expensive

That’s exactly why it’s the scam of choice for grifters like De Santis and Abbot. It’s probably no coincidence that Abbot just announced he was Covid positive, had no symptoms, then had a Regeneron treatment. Abbot is vaccinated but doesn’t support vaccination for the little people.

23 Likes

Trust me, I know. I live in Texas. Abbot isn’t just incompetent, he’s mean.

29 Likes

Maybe the people who remain can vote for better leadership in the future.

11 Likes

The harsh reality is that the only way out of this pandemic is for antivaxers to die off. That could take years and many more [insert Greek letter] strains but one way or another the percentage of vaccinated people has to go up.

12 Likes

This, mathematically, will also take vaccinated people with it en masse.

33 Likes

aaron carter GIF

9 Likes