Trump supporters turn against him for promoting vaccine: He's a "New York liberal"

Originally published at: Trump supporters turn against him for promoting vaccine: He's a "New York liberal" | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Pete Davidson Lol GIF by Saturday Night Live

66 Likes

Trump is and always was a symptom of the disease eating away at American democracy. He is not the disease and getting rid of him did not cure the disease. The fight goes on.

120 Likes

I somehow knew his supporters in Jimbobistan would eventually turn against him

39 Likes

It’s a shame that these folks will be the incubators for COVID’s mutant strains. But they will get the chance to demonstrate how seriously they hold their beliefs by dying from them. So they have that much going for them, which is nice.

36 Likes

Fascists always end up eating their own. I hate to think what was on that diner’s menu.

39 Likes

There’s a joke in here somewhere about shooting someone on 5th Avenue and vaccine shots but I’m too tired this morning to find the words or put them in the right order, so this is as good as you’re gonna get.

62 Likes

So living atop a Manhattan skyscraper emblazoned with his own name in giant gold letters wasn’t enough to convince them he was a “coastal elite” but tepid support for a disease prevention program is?

113 Likes

Imagine how screwed we’d be if there were a more serious crisis. We as a nation are not prepare to handle disasters anymore. The next big war will break us if we remain this way.

26 Likes

“He was the best option.”

So, think on that folks. Mull it over. That group thinks Trump is a “liberal” New Yorker, but he was the best option. Trump, who is a reactionary, racist, corporate capitalist, grifting pig who drapes himself in flag and religion for votes.

I’m of two minds on this revelation:

1. They always saw through his schtick, but prefer any GQP politician over a Democrat, regardless of how nasty and vile that candidate may be.

2. They are even more conservative than he is and know it. They would gladly make us a Christian-fascist nation if they could get rid of enough progressives. Voting GQP is the only way to get remotely close to what they envision.

The right answer is, of course, both. And I weep for my country that we still breed people like this, who put party over nation, religion over science, and have drunk deep the well of racist capitalism. But we’ve always been this nation.

70 Likes

The stupid almost makes you cry.

44 Likes

It would be awfully nice if we can be done with our several small wars already.

24 Likes

This is a bad thing, of course, because these folks will spread the disease. If, however, long term, a double digit percentage of Republicans continue refuse the vaccine, well, let’s just say the age demographics of their party supporters will change radically.

16 Likes

Possibly a silver lining in these clouds of ignorance:

• So many Darwin Award finalists !
11 Likes

Man, I usually hate CNN “man on the street” segments, but this was edited brilliantly. The last guy stating his reason for getting the vaccine was “My wife!” and the video abruptly ends. Brilliant.

13 Likes

That is exactly correct, you have just eloquently expressed what I have been trying to work out for myself. he is a symptom, and the disease goes on.

10 Likes

Meanwhile, Their neighbors in The Chickasaw Nation, despite having every reason to hate these people, is instead offering vaccine to everyone. No state ID or proof of citizenship required.
The contrast is staggering.

60 Likes

As someone who grew up eating a combination of frugal Irish and southern Ohio/Kentucky cuisine, I’ll bet I’d enjoy the food, just not the company of fellow diners …

9 Likes

Sadly Indigenous American populations have had enough experience with imported viruses to know that they aren’t something to mess around with.

57 Likes

Apparently, that cuts both ways.

Even as hundreds of elders got vaccinated, Ms. Birdtail resisted. She is vulnerable to the coronavirus from a stroke. Her job as a teacher’s aide brings her into close contact with children at the Cherokee Immersion School, where in-person classes are expected to resume soon.

But Ms. Birdtail is scared of getting vaccinated, largely because she once passed out after getting a penicillin shot years ago. The government’s legacy of medical malpractice in Indian Country — a history of coercive treatments, shoddy care, forced sterilizations and more — has also instilled a deep skepticism about taking a government-supported vaccine.

“It made me think back to the Trail of Tears, how they all got sick,” Ms. Birdtail said. “I don’t trust it.”

21 Likes