Watch: NYT goes to The Ozarks and interviews proudly unvaxxed people dying of Covid

This kind of sums up Trumpers as the toddlers they act like. Grown men and women who throw tantrums when asked to behave, and who will stubbornly refuse to do anything they are told by responsible adults, even if it is good for them.

28 Likes

I’ve known people like this- people with egos that are so massive yet fragile that the slightest friendly advice or concerned suggestion is met with extreme hostility, because how DARE you tell THEM what to do. Apparently they think they’re so amazing, so superior, that they’re right all the time and know more than anyone around them, including experts on subjects they’ve never even studied. They’re insufferable assholes unlikely to be missed by anyone, fortunately.

28 Likes

Geez, dude. Don’t die, I guess.

2 Likes

That always makes me think of my favorite insult: If I wanted to kill myself I’d climb to the top of your ego and jump down to your intelligence.

28 Likes

Even insufferable assholes are other people’s children or siblings or parents. Unfortunately it’s not that easy

22 Likes

Donald Trump is the archetype for that kind of narcissistic behavior, and it seems that it can be spread socially.

12 Likes

I can’t really put my finger on a precise formulation of it; but this person seems to be suffering from a relatively subtle, though profound, epistemological defect where no distinction is drawn(or even recognized) between instructions of the “no public urination please” school and instructions of the “please don’t touch hot stoves” school.

It just seems like such a weird mistake in kind rather than degree; treating both orders and advice as existing on the same axis (regardless of one’s position on what orders are and can be legitimate and what advice is or isn’t good) is just baffling.

31 Likes

I think a more accurate way of phrasing this isn’t that they are suffering from an epistemological defect as, they’re just tired of being lied to and they don’t know who is telling them the truth and who is lying anymore.

Every pharmaceutical company involved in this whole thing has a history of really shitty action. Every government agency involved has a history of bribery and “revolving door” tendencies between for profit insurance companies and them. Every single insurance company and for profit rural hospital system (like the one at Baxter Regional Medical Services) has been involved in profit taking. In the same breath that we say “this vaccine is well tested and good and approved for everyone”, we decry the payoffs and basically the entire selling out of the industry to the Sackler family to basically legalize opioid abuse. Even after the fact, they made a huge profit and saw no real negative effect.

So, add all that up, and it’s very clear why the people that the FDA took advantage of in the opioid crisis, that peoples lives in the ozarks and north arkansas were RUINED in, would have issues with trust for the same FDA that says “Okay, we’re here to help you now.” The very same style of pharma companies that jumped in on the opioid and “pain management” train are now the good guys. I can , having watched families destroyed by opioids legally perscribed AND USED, understand exactly why these people think this is just another set of people trying to fuck them over and rip them off.

It’s not as simple as “these are dumb people who don’t know logic.” These are people that have been systematically plundered and are too broken to tell the difference.

44 Likes

My wife and I were just talking about that. I have heart disease, currently I’m well managed and all my numbers are good but I’m one rupture away from a massive heart attack.

I wonder what happens if I have that heart attack and they have to transport me to a hospital outside my network because my hospital is full of morons? Normally if you even think about going out of network they come and take your house.

Plus, in an emergency I’ll take any doctor that knows what their doing but I’d rather have the guy that’s been inside my heart several times. I really need him managing my care and it’s unclear if he can do that in a hospital he’s not affiliated with.

More of the consequences the unvaccinated never even consider.

18 Likes

You hit your out of pocket maximum. My suggestion would be to budget the family out of pocket maximum into your emergency fund if you can. Because you will hit that. If you have some kind of “High deductible” insurance, you probably don’t have an out of pocket maxium, in which case, you just survive and worry about the bill you’ll never be able to pay later.

4 Likes

While I agree that fundamentally this likely a trust issue with many unvaccinated, it is also not difficult in this particular case to look around at all the people who are vaccinated, all the people who are unvaccinated, and figure out that vaccination is the smart play.

11 Likes

“I’m more of a libertarian and I don’t like being told what I have to do.”

I wonder how much of a fuss he put up when they told him he had to go to the hospital?

6 Likes

Well, yeah. NOW. But it’s still 5 weeks to full vaccination in a county of 41,000 people that averages 200 cases a week. There’s a tipping point.

4 Likes

Yeah, we have an out of pocket maximum of 12 grand. We are very fortunate that while we wouldn’t be able to pay it in a lump sum we would be able to make payments.

In 2012 we had some really crappy insurance, it took us 9 years to pay off my should be dead heart attack. Once I was stable my wife left me to go to work. One of the nurses asked where she went and I told her we had a job that needed finishing so we wouldn’t lose the contract and a big chunk of income. She said just tell them you’re in the hospital.

Real world is a…

18 Likes

Or at the hospital. I can’t remember or verity the source, but I did read about someone comparing the first wave of hospitalized Covid victims, who were old and cooperative, to this wave, who are unvaccinated, middle aged and un-cooperative, and deny they are really that ill. Dunno of that generalization is true or not, but I would be unsurprised if it is.

8 Likes

I agree, it doesn’t take scientific polling, a super computer, or anyone with great intellect to see that people who are not getting the vaccine are getting a lot sicker and have less favorable outcomes than the vaccinated, regardless of your distrust in the government/pharma companies. Dying to stick it to government or big pharma is a fool’s errand.

If they don’t trust their government or drug companies, they can talk to people who have objective opinions about the vaccine and see how their outcomes are, but a lot of these folks cling to their political ideology, which tends to be antivax, no matter what. It’s like rooting for the losing team regardless of their record because that is how it’s always been and you can’t lose face and root for the winning team because you would let down your “people.”

18 Likes

I know there’s a lot of anger going around in this thread, but this just makes me so profoundly sad. I know they’ve “made their choice,” I know they’ve been given every opportunity to get vaccinated, but it’s still just so sad that these people have chosen to die, and to effectively kill those around them, instead of getting a couple of perfectly safe injections. They’ve been lied to, misled, propaganized, and they’re too deep in it now, I have no idea how we’re going to come back from this, if we’re going to at all.

I just wish people where smarter, and that the people they look up to weren’t monsters…

29 Likes

I’m so fucking tired of this. I can’t even begin to imagine how tired the medical staff of these hospitals must be. And I’m even more tired thinking about the future, because as long as people don’t get vaccinated and wear masks, this is going to go on indefinitely.

Except that I’m sure they’re not just happy to follow instructions of the “no public urination” variety but will excoriate those who violate them, even. So the “I don’t like being told what I have to do” statement doesn’t even hold water.

20 Likes

This was going to go on indefinitely anyway, regardless of what we in the US do or what they in the Ozarks do.

We bought ourselves to the front of a very, very long global line. We are privileged to be a wealthy nation, and the vast majority of the world is poorer than us and hasn’t even had the opportunity yet, to get even a SINGLE dose, much less the three that we’ll have before 30% of the world even gets one.

Right now, according to Our World in Data (Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccinations - Our World in Data) 32.9% of the world has had ONE dose. 1.4% of the people in lower income nations have had ONE dose. The world is currently on target to be innoculated by the middle or late next year. If the “first world countries” all mandate boosters, we’ll push everyone back in line as we cut the line again, and that’ll be 3 to 4 years to get the rest of the world the three shots.

In that time, variants will form, and there’s nothing we can do. Even if the US was fully, 100% vaccinated, we’ve pushed ourselves to the front of the line. We shoved people out of the way. We demanded it was ME FIRST ME FIRST as a country.

16 Likes

Spot on! I just saw this article in my news feed this morning and I can’t even imagine how serious it must be behind the scenes.

B.C. health-care workers ‘at the end of their ropes’ as 1 in 4 consider quitting, union says

5 Likes