CEO of Better apologizes to his remaining employees for insulting their outgoing colleagues on the way out the door

Think he’d be better slow-roasted or BBQ’d? Maybe a Dr. Pepper and garlic marinade for a day or two?

Still a complete ass.

1 Like

I miss fuckedcompany.com.

4 Likes

Wow!

A prior ceo of mine told us a story the day before another round of continued layoffs: “An ex employee approached me on the street in L.A. and said ‘getting fired was the best thing to ever happen to me, I’m a DJ now!’”.

Not quite the pro company messaging we were previously taught to recite when asked.

1 Like

I miss Netslaves and especially Steve Gilliard, who ripped into companies and execs like this with more style than anyone at pud’s cesspool could.

1 Like

Well, at least Netslaves has a book to commemorate it. Pud only put up a pretty pathetic tombstone, and his URL has been excluded from the wayback machine.

1 Like

I was working at a Silicon Valley tech company in the 1990s during a round of layoffs. Many of the people being cut were offered packages to stay for one or three months before they would actually be terminated. This was both an effort to treat people fairly and to ensure continuity for the business. It was all pretty reasonable.

Unfortunately, the layoffs were announced in the morning before an all-company meeting and party the same afternoon. The CEO was a well-respected business leader who mentored many of the other tech CEOs in the valley. At the afternoon meeting, the CEO tried to boost morale by explaining that it had been a difficult period for the company but that the new structure would guarantee success now that they had “cut out the dead wood.”

Apparently the CEO was unaware that the so-called dead wood were in attendance and expected to keep working for the company for several more weeks.

3 Likes

Better CEO is ‘taking time off’ after firing 900 staff on Zoom

Better CEO Vishal Garg, best-known for firing 900 employees over one giant Zoom call, is taking time off work while the company hires a third-party to perform a “leadership and cultural assessment.”

[…]

Better’s CFO Kevin Ryan has been ushered in to take over temporarily, whilst the board members try and figure out how to make the company, erm, better. “The Board has engaged an independent 3rd party firm to do a leadership and cultural assessment. The recommendations of this assessment will be taken into account to build a long-term sustainable and positive culture at Better,” the email continued.

[…]

(But why, exactly? Being mean to minions? Surely not… Ah, there it is:)

Plans to merge with Aurora Acquisition Corp via a $7.7bn special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) deal were also put on hold, according to Axios, whilst the company tries to clean up the mess leftover from the PR disaster.

SPAC sales are in increasingly common way of going public without all that embarrassing disclosure business. Fellow Softbank-backed biz WeWork imploded after filing its amazingly self-indulgent SEC form S-1 prior to a normal IPO. Having a CFO in charge of a delicate deal for Better might seem very attractive to investors.

[…]

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.