Spreading outlandish tales to shame remote workers, a CEO demonstrates his unfitness to lead

Originally published at: Spreading outlandish tales to shame remote workers, a CEO demonstrates his unfitness to lead | Boing Boing

8 Likes

clearly, some of these CEOs are not rehearsing these speeches in front of anyone. second time this week we hear of a chief let some remarks fly that will probably make some employees update their resume.

20 Likes

And the 30 who didn’t crack their laptop still probably coast the company less than the CEO.

30 Likes

ah capitalism. I’m sure this man rose from humble beginnings to become a CEO right?

17 Likes

I dont understand… you claim 30 people didnt do work but no one noticed or did anything? Sounds like you are a shit leader.

38 Likes

Joke:

Q: what happens when you play a Country/Western song about corporate life backwards?

A: You get your wife back, you get your house back, you get your dog back.

I only changed the source joke here by adding the “about corporate life” phrase to the setup. Punchline is the same!

12 Likes

I don’t think he’s lying about the dog - the number of workers forced to give up pets when the “work from home” jobs they were promised turned into “you must return to the office” is substantial (either because pets were suddenly home alone all day, and couldn’t handle it, or because the workers had to move nearer the office and could no longer have pets). Not so sure about the “remote workers are doing nothing for a month” claim, on the other hand…

13 Likes

They can measure if a laptop has been opened or not, but they can’t measure if work is getting done even on a weekly basis?

19 Likes

all you have to do is leave that laptop open and hit a key every once in a while.

14 Likes

Bosses like this will never truly be satisfied by replacing human workers with AI, because for all the cost savings they won’t be able get the same results from abusing an algorithm.

17 Likes

And who’s willing to bet that “30 workers and their manager” just didn’t have the spyware enabled?

17 Likes

I lost one of my best employees ever when the owner asked him to install spyware on the network to track what workers were doing. He refused and quit. I was so damn proud of him. We’re friends to this day.

27 Likes

I had a drinking bird on my office table, never been back to retrieve it.

I miss my little buddy.

8 Likes

No need to own a pet dog if you’re intent on becoming one yourself.

11 Likes

No, no… the claim is that said employee sold their dog because capitalism.

If only those selfish, selfish caregivers would do the same with their own children. Frankly anything short of that is just unfair to their employer.

16 Likes

A “The beatings will continue until morale improves” moment.

19 Likes

That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this story. You have employees who haven’t done anything in a month? What is going on in your company? Are you trying emulate Facebook and the other tech companies that hired a lot of people just to keep them from being hired by other companies? Do you and your managers have no clue as to what is going on? Who hired those managers?

If I was one of your clients I might start reevaluating my relationship with you. Especially if I was a dog lover.

11 Likes

A link to the Vice article they didn’t link to: CEO Celebrates Worker Who Sold Family Dog After He Demanded They Return to Office

3 Likes

The end of his little tirade there sounds like he’s suggesting some of his employees should sell their children to focus on work too.

And what is it this important company does I wondered?

We build, acquire, and grow digital brands… We leverage our engaged audiences to enable advertisers to reach new, highly-qualified potential customers

wow…

Moving. Inspiring.

How could we live without it?

12 Likes

When he wants machine activity data he can just ask IT; but knowing whether work is getting done is his department, so he has a much tougher problem there.

4 Likes