Elon Musk says unhappy Tesla workers should just "pretend to work somewhere else"

Originally published at: Elon Musk says unhappy Tesla workers should just "pretend to work somewhere else" | Boing Boing

9 Likes

What a glorious vision of the future from this genius: come into the office for 40 hours a week or else.

47 Likes

Dude is just shedding staff to competitors who will bury his companies as they also fall apart internally. I work in the stationary battery (“BESS”) business, and this is especially true for us where Tesla ain’t doing great.

38 Likes

What kind of mickey mouse operation can only avoid bankruptcy by having the CEO live in the factory?

37 Likes

This guy can sure elongate his sense of self-importance, can’t he?

23 Likes

Instead of pretending to work at Tesla like him?

29 Likes

That guy who’s tracking EM’s jet: I wonder what he’s up to these days.

14 Likes

Pictured: Elon Musk

16 Likes

Man who claims to be a futurist can’t understand the future of work. Yeah, he’s one hell of a toxic boss who I’d never want to work for.

46 Likes

“Everyone.” Sure, Elon. Publish your timecard.

18 Likes

A minimum of 40hrs per week? This makes it sound like there is an expectation that employees should be spending more than 8hrs a day at Tesla?

27 Likes

22 Likes

Sure comes across as:

“Sacrifice your personal life to the mighty Elon!! I deserve more money!!!”

15 Likes

“he’s one hell of a toxic boss”

He’s proving himself to be,overall, one hell of a toxic person.

28 Likes

I don’t know, with ol’ Musky’s stock pumping and dumping patterns and weaseling out of things he’s already failing at, I wonder if this is just him trying to get out ahead of mass resignations for other reasons. Like, if he can fire everyone “with cause” before the company collapses, he won’t have to pay severance or something shady like that. Or even simpler, to reassure his massive ego that it wasn’t his fault that the company couldn’t deliver, it was those pesky workers with their pesky modern work/life balance concerns.

29 Likes

I think you have a point. Getting workers to quit in worker-friendly California, and replacing them with new employees in worker-hostile Texas may be a conscious plan.

27 Likes

For all of his many, many faults that’s something that Henry Ford understood well when he doubled salaries and shortened the workday to 8 hours in what he later called “the best cost-savings move he ever did.”

30 Likes

19 Likes

Say what you want about him, but he’s a clear communicator.

What I want to say about him is he’s clearly communicating what an asshole he is.

28 Likes

I’m sure you’re right, given that their non-compete isn’t worth the paper it’s written on in California. I suspect that’s not true in Texas.

16 Likes