Accusing them of laziness and stealing, a CEO conducts a 900 person round of holiday layoffs right after closing a huge fundraising round

Originally published at: Accusing them of laziness and stealing, a CEO conducts a 900 person round of holiday layoffs right after closing a huge fundraising round | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Why are you mad? Capitalism is a system specifically set up to facilitate autocratic tyrants. If you don’t like that, then you don’t like capitalism.

24 Likes

I don’t like capitalism.

46 Likes

Maybe, just maybe, run a company well enough so that none ever get laid off.

17 Likes

“This is the second time in my career I’m doing this and I do not want to do this. The last time I did it, I cried,” Garg said on the call

This is as dickish as it can possibly get–he’s trying to co-opt their own pain by making it about his emotional duress. Assh*le.

46 Likes

Yea, I couldn’t finish watching it. All I could think while watching him was ‘man this dude is a psychopath’

I mean, generally par for the course for a CEO, but it was still disturbing to watch for me.

20 Likes

So, not getting paid to listen to the rest of it? That’d be the moment that I hang up.

32 Likes

It’s 100% narcissistic abuser talk.

“Look what you made me do! I hate it when you force me to hurt you!”

43 Likes

Wait, they can fire you for being lazy at work?

I - uh - I’ll see you guys later…

22 Likes

Somehow I doubt that claim would withstand any kind of rigorous analysis. That’s the trouble with management that reduces work to simplistic (but measurable!) statistics: It encourages bozo math that can “prove” just about anything.

“Fire all the below average employees!”

17 Likes

Might as well re-brand to worse-dot-com with a sociopath like that in charge.

As usual in late-stage capitalist America, a rising tide swamps most boats while those on the yacht barely feel anything.

15 Likes

Simultaneous boing?

5 Likes

I believe, in California anyway, this would be considered illegal and there would already be a 900 person lawsuit claiming wrongful termination, discrimination, and who knows what – a layoff is when your business is not performing or has changed and your employment needs have changed so you must let people go with the implied/bullshit hope of business restoring and you can bring them back.

If you opened the same exact job as you let these people go from theoretically you’d have to contact them and offer it back as a layoff.

People getting their job done in 2 hrs instead of 8 is certainly a resourcing problem on the Managements side but laying them off during the holidays because you overhired, right after raising $750MM when the person at fault was the hiring manager who approved 900 people to do 200 people’s worth of work? This is a dick move.

25 Likes

Not even a Jelly of the Month Club membership as severance.

9 Likes

what he didn’t point out was that those 2 hours were from weekends and holidays

and if you let people have that, they’ll be asking for lunch and bathroom breaks next

9 Likes

Right!?! The one time I worked for a company that laid people off, this was exactly the reason. Of course, their solution was to bring in a “six figure guy” to straighten things out. He didn’t.

And nothing is more infuriating than hearing how firing someone hurts you, personally.

Only if you’re not in the C-suite. Then you’re free to spend literal hours at lunch “meetings”, preparing for tee-time, taking “VIPs” to strip clubs and flying all over the planet for things that could be accomplished via Zoom.

But you, my friend must install HR’s payroll app that tracks your location at all times just so they can assure that when you clock in you’re actually where you’re supposed to be and not a minute late!

15 Likes

Wow. That’s an absolute dick move. and no advance notice? that’s definitely inviting lawsuits. (We had a month’s advance notice of the intention that [ISP] was doing a RIF(reduction in force), and our tiny little department avoided the first round, but in the end, we all knew it was going to hit us and were able to buffer for it when it did hit us. They didn’t do it during the holiday season at all, but waited until after to even announce it.)

4 Likes

Here in the UK companies do that to put existing employees on worse wages and conditions.

7 Likes

Gardening Leave. I have worked for several UK based companies.

6 Likes

There’s no leave because employees are rehired the same day.

Gardening leave is entirely different.

7 Likes