Character-posing tool for artists

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/27/character-posing-tool-for-arti.html

10 Likes

moss-insanely-brilliant

Also, there goes any hope of getting something done work-wise for the rest of the day.

13 Likes

Clip Studio Paint already had a figure-posing feature, and it’s part of a complete drawing software package.

9 Likes

Ooooh, this is neat!!!
I know that I can use that!

2 Likes

I’ve tried to use digital poses several times (Poser, ClipStudio, apps, etc.), but the controls are inevitably so fiddly that I spend way too much time fighting the program – time that I need to be drawing.

So I bought a couple of these wee Modibot Myke guys, and they’ve been very helpful and fun to use as a reference.

P.S. Turns out the guy who designed them worked on the Micronauts, which I loved as a kid!

5 Likes

Yeah, posable and you can adjust proportion, import 3D files, etc.
Just a great software.

3 Likes

My main complaint about it is the “Create Art” button doesn’t work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are so many images on the web, it’s practically impossible to not find a picture of someone in the pose you want. All it takes is a little time and maybe some creativity with the search string. Admittedly I’ve been trying serious drawing for only about a year, but so far I’ve never got stuck being unable to find an image I can use for reference.

Nailed it.

3 Likes

I take the point about the internet being a nigh-infinite source of references, but I draw for a living, and I’ve spent way too much time searching for things like “a group of different people walking away at the same 3/4 angle”. It’s much easier for me to just grab these figures out of my bag and quickly twist them into exactly the poses I need.

Bonus: Having an excuse to make this little box for them, with the help of the brilliant site TemplateMaker.nl:

Another struggle has been finding references of diverse-looking people. Stock images are… well, you know… So I was very happy to find thispersondoesnotexist.com, which features a world of different AI-generated faces of different ages, races, genders that I can refer to without worrying about infringing on some real individual. (I’ve printed out a little deck of them for offline work.)

Every once in a while, though, you pull the handle and the engine spills out some Clive Barker-esque horror, but that’s part of the fun.

3 Likes

Where’s the fun in that ?

You showed a guy doing brokedancing.

2 Likes

Don’t do that group. Find an image of one person at the right angle. Pull into current project. Overdraw with neccesary mods. Move reference a little. Rinse and repeat. But if you get better mileage from using the the micros, more power to you.

I’ve played with it the last couple of days. Getting used to how to move the model’s joints and the object/light source can be incredibly finicky… yet after a while, I came up with some not-too-bad results. I haven’t tried to use my screenshots as reference yet, but I might on my next drawing. (The current one isn’t done yet. Close, but not quite there yet…)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.