Charlie Brown's voice actor, Peter Robbins, died from suicide

Originally published at: Charlie Brown's voice actor, Peter Robbins, died from suicide | Boing Boing

8 Likes

:cry:

32 Likes

Good grief.

28 Likes

He should have never been in prison at all. He was mentally ill and should have been treated as such.

36 Likes

That’s so tragic.

48 Likes

So sad, when people don’t get the support they need.

37 Likes

That is some grim, sad news, all the more so because of his role as the voice of the beloved cartoon character.

15 Likes

I’d say rather that he should have received help and treatment before he ended up committing crimes that led to him going to prison.

12 Likes

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

9 Likes

If you stop here, you’re good. Our use of the criminal justice system in lieu of an actual mental health system is, in fact, criminal.

27 Likes

And of course, it’s against the rules of stigmatize people with mental illness by equating them with crime or bad behavior.

15 Likes

OK, that made me cry. Peter gave the world joy, and he got hell in return.

14 Likes

his lowest point came in solitary confinement.

“These people were screaming all throughout the night,” Robbins said. “Plus, the guards knocked on your door every 20 minutes to make sure you’re still alive.”

Solitary confinement is a form of torture

https://www.afsc.org/resource/solitary-confinement-facts

15 Likes

I can’t believe that nobody from Charlie Brown inc. (or whoever owns all that stuff now) never bothered to assist this guy as much as possible. IMHO; his suicide it on them, and during their watch. A little bit of MH on a regular basis; a nice livable stipend for his good work; and the brand goes on forever.
Instead; Charlie Brown inc. will forever be stained with a suicide.
Like a lot of Robin Williams works; this guy’s suicide will now be thought #1 when any of his media comes around.
MetLife probably didn’t share dime # 1 to this guy; or any of the original voice folk AT ALL.
.I’d puke and cry for the rest of the day if I could.

3 Likes

Correct.

But even if he weren’t, no completely sane person who commits a crime should be in a prison with those conditions.

3 Likes

That people with mental illnesses and developmental conditions find it easier by orders of magnitude to end up in prison than they do to get help and support is fucked up.

That the conditions of general population are considered acceptable is (fucked up)².

That the conditions of solitary are not considered crimes against humanity is (fucked up)¹⁰⁰.

That all of these things coincide all the goddamn time is (fucked up)^∞.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.