Check out Alan Moore's new six-hour storytelling master class from the BBC

Originally published at: Check out Alan Moore's new six-hour storytelling master class from the BBC | Boing Boing

10 Likes

I’m repeatedly surprised by how uncurmudgeonly Mr Moore is.

7 Likes

I’m not. I’ve met him and sat in front of him literally crossed legs in an art gallery listening to a poem he had written spoken live, dedicated to the pagan gods the Romans worshipped whilst building Hadrian’s wall near where I live. The best bit…?

1 Like

During his reading he had the guitarist from Sunn 0))) playing droning metal guitar live through a massive amp in keeping with the prose. It was beautifully but really balanced. And I’ll never forget it. Plus he was a sweety

9 Likes

I got my “master class story teller” from five years at sea. You want stories, Sailors got plenty.

7 Likes

Looking at this “BBC Maestro” offering of paid courses, I am reminded how astonishing it is that even just a few years ago I was actively in favor of the BBC’s existence.

ETA I am all in favor of paying money to Alan Moore, obviously

5 Likes

Obligatory…

4 Likes

He’s a lot more mellow than some people expect.

1 Like

How long until he denounces the BBC

2 Likes

I have his collection of essays on how to write comics.

1 Like

I had no particular interest in taking a writing course or writing, but when Moore puts it that way, as an archetypically important enterprise … I am tempted.

3 Likes

That promo felt like it was directed by Christopher Guest.

1 Like

I’ve said this before, but I think a lot of his playfulness doesn’t come across in text-only interviews. A lot of things he intends as comic exaggeration get reported as if he’s being completely serious.

Which isn’t to say he’s not a curmudgeon at all, either. He’s certainly got some very strong opinions and some long grudges, some of which I think are entirely fair and some I think are less so.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.