Check out London's new underground rail line (just don't call it the Underground)

The Elizabeth line will have no gaps.

(Insert vague royal lineage joke here.)

9 Likes

Yes, he said that the platforms are all straight, which means no gaps.

5 Likes

Or no Gays :open_mouth: :rainbow_flag:

1 Like

A nice hot cup of tea and a biscuit.

8 Likes

Yes, some stations where the platforms curve or the train is on a camber - notoriously, Bank - still have ‘Mind the Gap’ announcements.

There’s a nice story about the announcement at Bank:

9 Likes

As long as it keeps inexplicably blowing American people’s brains, they’ll keep saying it, if only for tourism reasons.

The actual warning is increasingly irrelevant with newer trains and platforms, so repeating it everywhere just means people won’t hear it in the one place where there actually is a massive gap between the train and the platform (at the curved part of the Central line platform at Bank station).

This new line has platform edge doors and step-free access, so they might not say it on that particular line.

5 Likes

I understand completely, but when I hear Smoots I think of this:

shocked golden retriever GIF

8 Likes

I advise everyone visiting Boston for the first time to visit that bridge.

7 Likes
11 Likes

In London? It’s a limping pigeon with a half-eaten greggs sausage roll in its beak.

5 Likes

I find it interesting that he insists that Crossrail is NOT part of the London Underground while simultaneously seeming to comingle the “Tube” and the “Underground” when the underground includes the subsurface (cut and cover) lines, some of which predate the tube lines by decades.
edited to add and explanation of my pedantry

3 Likes

One of the 1st places I spent time online is Urban75, a London-based site with forums, galleries, games, etc.

A moderator came onto a general thread, saying she’d heard Mornington Crescent was being played there again, and that we all knew that was against the rules. She said that every time it was played, fights broke out which wound up spilling onto other threads.

She then said, “If you must play it, I will start, and stay on the thread to keep an eye on you lot. /deep breath Mornington Crescent.”

Sure enough, there were arguments, but she kept them in line and everyone remained civilised.

4 Likes

That’s some tasty meta-MC there.

3 Likes

thank you - what a wonderful story of our humanity

4 Likes

I like it’s minimalist aesthetic. I’d call it Paddington Bare.

8 Likes

Weirdly, I saw a sign at Elephant & Castle that said “Roadworks next 50 yards” and it was in 2012, not 1950.
The English are weird. Also the castle in Newcastle is like, a thousands years old. Very disappointing. I was expecting a nice new one.

6 Likes

That’s because all the old castles were Roman and Anglo-Saxon. Then we (or some of my ancestors) went and stole all of the stone from them to make new stuff, because they weren’t around to stop us anymore.

5 Likes

The Anglo-Saxons didn’t really build castles at all, and certainly none made of stone. The Romans kinda did, but their strategy in the British Isles in late antiquity seems to be more around fortified towns, unlike on the continent where military burgus structures can reasonably be called the ancestors of castles. It’s really the Normans who brought castles to Britain. Including the one in Newcastle, which was originally made of timber, like all the first wave Norman castles. Newcastle is called Newcastle because there was no castle in the area before.

That said, your ancestors absolutely pilfered stones from Roman structures (mainly forts, as villas weren’t as common as they were in southern England).

6 Likes

Those living in New York and Los Angeles, and possibly other North American cities, here’s a detailed look at the Elizabeth Line…

3 Likes

Meanwhile in America, most measurements are still in miles, feet and inches, plus the internationally recognised A-sizes for paper are, for some inconceivable reason, in inches and a different proportion to everywhere else!.
I guess it’s part of the pioneer spirit and a tacit refusal to be seen to allow dam’ furriners tell Americans how paper should be measured.

5 Likes