Check out Mrs. Brown's Boys

Right, because there are so many jobs for older female actors that we also need to employ male actors to fill those jobs. Same with minorities.

3 Likes

This is not something I care to discuss with you. Your position is absolutely ludicrous to me. Please leave me out of your stance and replies. I said good day once, I will say it again.

2 Likes

Yeah the cross dressing is inconsequential to me…as he is portraying the other gender outright. The funny bits to me are regarding situational comedy.

Judge away, I don’t expect us all to find the same things funny. Coupling and Fawlty Towers both rank as some of the best comedy I’ve watched…I’ve shared them both with people with mixed results to say the least.

3 Likes

I agree with you on both of those :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you have the same opinion about blackface?

Oh my. Oh my my.

2 Likes

I wonder how you feel about all the gender-swapping that goes on in voice-overs? Is that ok, because it’s just an actor’s voice?

Is it ok that Nancy Cartwright voices Bart Simpson, or Christine Cavanaugh voices Dexter, or Mae Questel voiced Popeye in several of the original cartoons?

3 Likes

I thought the clips were hilarious. I will definitely be looking up more.

¡Ay, caramba! My original post was just a question. Did you know that The Jazz Singer got an Honorary Academy Award? Do you think that it would get one today? I would have less of an issue with this comedy if the woman played by a male actor was not a stereotypical housewife. I may be wrong, I did not have the stomach to watch more that a couple of minutes of it. I also don’t like Ricky Gervais playing Derek, it seems to me that he is using or mocking mentally disabled people. I am more comfortable with self-deprecating humor than with this kind of shows. But, hey, feel free to watch whatever you like.

Sitcom Producers/Writers: “Thank GOD! for laugh tracks.”

1 Like

It’s filmed live in front of an audience. I don’t know what effect that has on the world, but I doubt it’s encouraging.

At least here in the US, any studio laughs are enhanced and added to. (Also, a pre-taping ‘cheerleader’ asks the audience to laugh at every scene requiring laughter, no matter how many times the scene is played over and over again.) Along with that, knowing that a few laughs can inspire others in a live audience to laugh also, writers (especially; I’ve seen this in action) and producers will loudly laugh at their own crumby work during tapings.

1 Like

Well, blow me down!

1 Like

About that… I attended a taping of The Rick Mercer Report. Rick flubbed a line, so it had to be re-done. We (the audience) did as instructed and laughed at the second attempt. But it was so obvious it was forced. Like night & day compared to the first attempt. And it wasn’t due to how Rick flubbed the line… we got the joke the first time and laughed naturally. Second time through, it fell flat.

They used the laugh track from the first attempt when the show aired a few weeks later.

1 Like

I could proudly claim that I’ve never laughed during the live tapings I’ve attended. But I was still embarrassed due to my friends’ forced laughs during the repeated scenes. Ugly moments.

Control yourself.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Put me down as another person who finds this programme abysmal, i don’t think it’s transphobic but the humour is fucking awful and dated circa 1974 (without any of the racism). I’m wondering if you removed the audience laughter it would leave the same existential void as those big bang theory vids with the laugh track taken out. I like a bit of puerile humour and slapstick as long as it’s good funny like man down, which i enjoy. Or how about something authentically british, if that’s what you want, like the detectorists which is funny and superbly written and acted.

5 Likes

I attended a taping of The Big Bang Theory in Hollywood and we, the audience, laughed a lot.

Most of the regular cast are Irish.

Maybe if the woman who was supposed to play Mrs Brown in the original stage show had bothered to turn up to the first performance, we wouldn’t be having this conversation

In 1992, O’Carroll performed a short radio play titled Mrs. Browne’s Boys and shortly afterwards he wrote four books titled The Mammy, The Granny, The Chisellers and The Scrapper. In 1999, a movie named Agnes Browne, starring Anjelica Huston, was released, based on his book “The Mammy”. O’Carroll also co-wrote the screenplay. He then decided to put together his own family theatre company, Mrs. Browne’s Boys, and dressed up as a woman to play his part, as the actress he had originally hired failed to turn up.

But I’ll be leaving this thread as I have better things to do than defend a television show I don’t even like.

3 Likes

Um…excellent? Not sure how it’s germane to my comment. Or even the history of Stage Irish - which was about others mocking the Irish via stereotypes.

I think that your experience of this won’t be the same as trans women. I look at the arguments and hear people saying back in the day - “but the characters say that Buffalo Bill wasn’t really a trans woman”.

And that is technically correct. The worst kind of correct.