Check out the boomerang suspension on this truck

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/02/check-out-the-boomerang-suspension-on-this-truck.html

5 Likes

My inner 16 year-old approves. He just wants to drive over stuff.

8 Likes

Very cool engineering, a slightly steeper incline might not provide clearance for the bottom of the truck but then again a steeper incline would not be wise to tackle. I’m certainly impressed over the modification

4 Likes

that’s cool. notice no shots of going down an incline nose first.

6 Likes

So, it’s. . .what. . .a differential that feeds power to two splitters that feed it into a dual chain drive to move all four wheels concurrently? I need some sort of exploded diagram to grasp this one.

1 Like

I feel as though I must have missed something that ties to the boomerang.image

4 Likes

Does it just work this one hill?

It just drives up this one hill, and then comes back down. Maybe that’s it?

The leaf springs are a lot more visible here than in a normal suspension and they form a boomerang shape.

The Landmaster did it first.

2 Likes

ENGESA also used this on armored cars

2 Likes

This is cool. We need a monster truck with this now

Truck seems purpose built for the berm is repeatedly climbing and descending.

Does this village lack a ramp to access the highway?

1 Like

See, now this is the kind of ingenuity they need over at that 11’8” bridge.

8 Likes

I swear I invented this with Legos when I was 12. It’s very satisfying to watch it in action.

1 Like

This is called a Walking Axle suspension, and it’s a very old design. It’s only actually useful in limited situations because of the immense clearance required over the frame for it to work. You see it mostly in specialized mining equipment, that sort of thing.

5 Likes

I heartily agree and came to post the same.

1 Like

I liked my Gama Goat.

Just beware deep, narrow creek beds.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.