Check out the sleeper seat on Japan's newest overnight train

Originally published at: Check out the sleeper seat on Japan's newest overnight train | Boing Boing

4 Likes

So cool. Love the old-school design of the engine with the modern minimalism of the interior.

9 Likes

On a related note, they have sleeper buses in Japan (Midnight buses) which are the cheap alternative to the bullet train.

A few years back I took one with my wife and mother in law from Tokyo to Osaka.
At a rest stop my mother in law got out and forgot which bus she was taking. It left without her. She left her wallet and phone on the bus. The bus company was very nice about letting her call home and arranging for a trip back.

12 Likes

11m 38s: Definitely the first time I’ve ever seen a window in a lavatory door.

4 Likes

Fantastic. It is like IKEA designed a space station. I am amazed at how low-density the train is; all those space-saving features have been used to make more room rather than fit in more passengers. Train + Sea = pretty much a perfect combination for me :heart_eyes:

Edit: that is a quality click when the table is folded back out. I wonder if there is a job for people to design satisfying real-world sounds. I seem to remember hearing that the automotive industry puts some effort in to the door sounds of expensive cars.

12 Likes

I seem to remember hearing that the automotive industry puts some effort in to the door sounds of expensive cars.

Yep - they have to do it because modern cars use thinner sheet metal than old school doors which had a nice solid thunk.

And not just doors - it’s pretty much every aspect of a modern car:

3 Likes

That seemed… unlikely. The 12 hour trip is actually 590 miles, at least according to the video description, which seems significantly more likely than a train traveling at an average of 16 miles an hour (even if they do slow down for the scenery).

I was wondering if it was one of those windows that goes opaque (I’ve seen them in a few Japanese buildings), but it’s just a urinal, so the users have their back to the window anyways…

5 Likes

These are standard on the Shinkansen trains.

The urinal is facing the outer wall, so your back blocks the view of anyone who might want to see your SheWee.

Makes it easy to see there is someone inside, of course.

1 Like

The thoughtfulness that goes into the experience in all aspects is really wonderful. There’s a level of respect for the passenger that you seldom see in any passenger transport in the U.S.

8 Likes

The train is called the “Galaxy Express?”

3 Likes
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.