Check out this gorgeous edition of John W. Campbell's story that inspired 'The Thing' movies

Originally published at: Check out this gorgeous edition of John W. Campbell's story that inspired 'The Thing' movies | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Neill Blomkamp’s experimental independent film production company “Oat Studios” made a short body-horror film in 2017 called “Zygote” that clearly drew inspiration from the same story. The main differences being that it takes place in the frozen northern wastes of Canada instead of Antarctica and in that version the alien monster isn’t a shape-shifter but a light-based intelligence that creates a horrifying composite-body from of the corpses of all the outpost workers it’s slain.

4 Likes

768ca572457633cdff6bd0b6280b30e03c72180d_hq

7 Likes

Cool.

6 Likes
1 Like

I didn’t realise the book was set in Antarctica. I always assumed it was meant to have taken place in the Arctic because that’s where its first adaptation, the 1951 movie The Thing from Another World, was set.

If anyone has read the book - is it any good?

I did read it a few decades ago and seem to recall it being a good read.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.