Scientists in Antarctica watch the movie that inspired The Thing, every year.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/28/scientists-in-antarctica-watch.html

4 Likes

This makes me wish I had some marketable Antarcticing skills.

6 Likes

19 Likes

Why don’t we just… wait here for a little while… see what happens?

9 Likes

You would be surprised. Anthony Bourdain did an episode there showing plenty of support staff are needed to keep everything going.

3 Likes

Of course technically it takes place in the Arctic (Alaska, actually) rather than the Antarctic…

3 Likes

I just spent a month at the South Pole over Christmas. The word is that the winter crew watch all three versions of the film right after the last plane departs.

I can verify that the Polies, especially the winterovers, are the sort of folks who would take great pleasure in watching this set of horrors. It takes a special kind of person to enjoy living in -100F weather and depending on the mechanical skills of others to keep you alive. It also takes a lot of booze.

15 Likes

If you want to work at the South Pole, then get a job in the field of CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background) research. The telescopes there are all doing that work.

8 Likes

Growing up in Phoenix in the 70s, we had this awesome Saturday late-morning (?) show called “The World Beyond” that used to show this and a bunch of other old sci-fi movies. I remember being so excited when ‘The Thing’ was coming out because I was so into the original…which was just a tall man in a suit. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s one of the most beautiful slip covers I’ve ever seen!

3 Likes

Dust jacket”, I would have said. There’s more round the back:

(from goodshowsir)

9 Likes

But the 1982 remake was set in Antarctica so close enough.

4 Likes

The original film is fucking awesome! The naturalness of the performances, the overlapping dialogue, that sense of “normal” being slowly eroded. I love it! I’ve never been to Antarctica but I’ve been to Iqaluit, Kugluktuk and other places north - and every time I go up there I always find myself muttering lines from that film.

8 Likes

I take umbrage at calling the Howard Hawks’ original Thing “corny,” especially when compared to most other SF flicks of the era. It’s rightly considered one of the great science fiction films of the 20th Century, with themes echoing Cold War and Atomic Age paranoia. It’s worthy of both a late night watch with the lights off, and study. Those Antarctic researchers have good taste!

10 Likes

11 Likes

Interesting coincidence. Today while I was cycling back to home I was thinking that it would be interesting to spend one season in Antarctica to do some research. Too bad there isn’t much interests in automotive sector to go there.

Movie, mandatory safety video, same thing.

6 Likes

making light? forewarned is forearmed. it’s instructional.

2 Likes

They need some reading material too.

10 Likes

One of the best moviegoing experiences I’ve ever had is when I went to see the 2011 film The Thing, being a really big fan of the 1982 film. There were only seven or so of us in the theater and as the credits began to roll we all gathered in front of the screen and had an impromptu discussion about the differences and similarities between all three film versions and the original story. We then went our separate ways.

I couldn’t tell you who any of them were or even what they looked like. I know I’m human, and I’m sure some of them were as well…

6 Likes