Scientists in Antarctica watch the movie that inspired The Thing, every year.

Can you pull a sled and survive on table scraps? If so, they may have a position open for you.

4 Likes

I remembered watching it as a kid and it was great, although not particularly scary. I thought the 82’ remake was pretty scary. I really got the sense of them being isolated and nobody knew who was human or not. The ending with the oversized creature was kind of awry for me, but still, it was a great backdrop for a movie.

I’m sure staying in the antarctic is somewhat maddening. Maybe not quite that maddening.

The Mountains of Madness… nuff said.

1 Like

Interesting, but Antartica is better, way more isoated.

It’s no coincidence, fate is goading you to go to the Antarctic… remember, leave no one else alive.

1 Like

What about reefer man? In the 82’ version they had reefer!

1 Like

Less Trump news.

Isolated caretakers in Antarctica return to the outside world to find that everyone else has gone mad.

2 Likes

There’s a hydroponic greenhouse in the South Pole Station, but I didn’t see any reefer growing in it. But the winter may be a whole 'nother story.

2 Likes

I notice they’re not badass enough to watch The Thing every year though?

1 Like

That’s a story right there.

I’d love to do the science stuff, but my brain does not comply with mathematical whatchamacallits.

Also a long time fan of the 1982 film, I was pleasantly surprised by the prequel once I finally got around to watching it.

5 Likes

My daughter is dating a wolf-Corgi hybrid, so yes, once the Coagula is done. I’ll be just adorable eand useless enough for them to let me ride on the sled.

I have a friend to spent a month at the pole in October a few years ago. He reported that there was a lot of alcohol consumed daily there and probably more over the winter.

1 Like

“Antarctica” is the short answer for why I don’t believe we are ready to colonize Mars yet.

Despite having drinkable water and breathable air no human has ever spent more than two consecutive years in Antarctica, and many who have spent extended periods of time there have had their sanity tested. If living on an isolated and inhospitable continent is enough to drive someone nuts then imagine living on another planet for that long.

4 Likes
1 Like

Huzzah! : )

We haven’t even begun to scratch the surface of exploring the Earth’s surface, let alone maintaining sustainable habitability in sub-optimal conditions.

1 Like

Tom, Alec and the rest of the ADI team would appreciate that. They worked hard to match with Bottin’s designs and also excel with their own physical effects - it was always a challenge to keep the production from looking at their watch and saying: “Fuck it, we’ll CG in post.”

2 Likes