Odd lifeforms discovered under a half-mile of Antarctic ice

Originally published at: Odd lifeforms discovered under a half-mile of Antarctic ice | Boing Boing

6 Likes

What’s the first rule of John Carpenter’s “The Thing”? Don’t drill into the ice. What’s the second rule of John Carpenter’s “The Thing”? Don’t drill into the fucking ice! Now we have to flamethrower the husky-a-likes.

18 Likes

neat something GIF

19 Likes

" Killer Sponges, Living in the Dark, Cold Recesses of Antarctica, Where No Life Can Survive ."

That’s going right into a song, I’m feeling song’y today…

17 Likes

Stuff like this makes me wonder if we will eventually find extreme-ophiles in the solar system or not. I do know there is an ice theory that life originated in ice and cold environments.

So it begs the question, does life form in these extreme conditions eventually. Or does life form in more favorable conditions, and then certain life forms gradually adapt to live in more and more extreme conditions? The answer will probably be the answer to my first question above.

5 Likes

IMHO, yes, yes and yes. I suspect microbial life will be found anywhere there is a medium to support it and an energy flux to fuel it. Now, what meets those conditions? This we will have to explore some planets, moons and asteroids to find out. But I think this kind of life will be everywhere.

10 Likes

4 Likes

Seems like every time scientists think an environment is unlikely to support life they find life. We should stop being surprised at new discoveries of life.

3 Likes

6 Likes

I learned a new word: sessile

It carries a subtle trace of effrontery absent from sedentary. I like it.

5 Likes

Cool, but I’d be very wary…

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.