Chelsea bomber's other bombs were discovered by thieves who liked the bags they were hidden in

Not sure if it’s a thing in the USA, and is only generally used for more valuable items.

That’s life in a smallish town in Maine* for you. Smoothie, Shifty, and D-Money hadn’t shown up yet to impregnate the white women, so Barney Fife needed something to do.

*I’m not sure if there are any biggish towns in Maine besides Portland, and “biggish town” is exactly how I’d classify Portland

4 Likes

The town in question (the town I grew up in) was voted “One of the 100 best little cities in America” according to a sign just after the highway exit, so apparently I’ve actually been diminishing it’s glory…

3 Likes

That’s kinda the opposite of what I did, so i assume you’re agreeing with me. I didn’t dump anything and immediately returned it to its owner.

@Boundegar accused these mystery gents of being thieves for just looking inside of the bag. Somehow he/she can tell what they’re looking for when they open the bag – if they’re looking for money, then they are thieves; if they are looking for bombs, then they are keeping the public safe.

1 Like

Right, I was trying (badly) to say the situations between the mystery suitcase thieves who stole the suitcase and returning a wallet weren’t analogous. The other guys who reported the bomb found in another bag to the police weren’t being called thieves by anyone so I was ignoring them.

But the bag was definitely refuse. It’s pretty well established that you cannot steal abandoned property. Unless you’re arguing that the bomber wanted his bomb back.

5 Likes

I don’t think the suitcase takers are guilty of a crime. If I saw a suitcase sitting out in the street I’d leave it alone, assuming someone owned it and was returning for it unless it was left on my property in which case I’d investigate and see if it was dumped. I do think taking something left out that’s not yours without permission is a kind of theft, even if I don’t think it’s a significant moral infraction or think anyone deserves to be punished for it.

Yea, I don’t like to bear false witness, but I know how civic-minded New Yorkers are, especially as regards unattended property.

Other people would call it claiming obviously abandoned property. If you find a hundred dollar bill lying on the sidewalk, and absent of any obvious owner, is it stealing to pick it up and keep it? If not, what’s the difference between that and an abandoned backpack, assuming a similar inability to identify its owner?

The two homeless New Jerseyans not have a gofundme page set up for them by supporters. https://www.gofundme.com/2pu6gkc?rcid=7f5350407eae11e6a8ccbc764e04c5a7

1 Like

rock on, my friend! :space_invader:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.