Chess commentator sacked after "chess is maybe not for women" remark

Outside of Fox, at least.

4 Likes

It’s obviously the same shabby attitude regardless; but there’s an extra special flavor from the fact that he’s preening about the superiority of the masculine mind for ‘game of kings’ when whatever differences may or may not exist between men and women in chess capability pale in comparison to those between humans and expert systems that are actually good at chess; and that gap shows no signs of doing anything but widening as time goes on.

Sure, sure, go on about how women in chess are some kind of unworthy affirmative action class when humans in chess are the ones who remain relevant only through careful exclusion of the actually qualified candidates. Much self-aware, wow.

1 Like

Mindysan,
I think an apology is in order here.

I am terribly sorry - and that’s my fault.
I have been hasty, childish and insensitive in replying with what in my mind was just a tongue-in-cheek quip, without considering much of the surrounding discourse.
In no way I intended to diminish your struggles or experiences, and for the future, I’ll put more attention in what I write.
Still my fault as I was not even really aware of your gender till your answer above, and I should have cared before answering.

I hope you can accept this, as I really appreciate your contributions here.

/newbrain

3 Likes

The real proof of his theory would be if in every game he ever plays, he voluntarily forfeits his queen, forthwith and forevermore.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.