Chicago tricked residents by 'canceling' annual green river, then surprised them

It’s been 20 years since I last had that and I can still taste it. Yuck

2 Likes

The time of year when you get to do this:

4 Likes

Its taste is as though a Leprechaun shit in ones mouth and wipe his feet on your tongue on his way out.

2 Likes

american-gods-mad-sweeney-hi

2 Likes

The river is recovering year over year. Lots of cleanup efforts, lots of efforts to prevent sewage overflow events thanks to the deep tunnel.

Last I checked, the DNR expected people in just a few years (less than 3) to be able to safely eat fish from the river. Species diversity is way up from the 90’s.

The environmental organization Friends of the Chicago River disapproves of dyeing the river, saying the practice “gives the impression that it is lifeless and artificial”, adding “Friends doesn’t think that the river should be treated as a decoration for an annual holiday, but treasured and cared for as the wonderful natural and recreational resource it deserves to be”.[82]

Indeed the locals do think the river is lifeless, when in fact it is bustling with life. I’ve heard people fishing it sometimes catch endangered salamanders.

I only know that as a reference John Hodgman sometimes makes. I kinda want to try it.

1 Like

[Emphasis mine]

You could at least have credited the man from whose efforts you are profiting, ABC News

Big deal, Pittsburgh has TWO colors, St. Patrick’s Day green, and “classic” brown.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.