Chimeric china: plates, cups, dishes and vases that mashup Chinese and European bone china

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/30/hybrid-vigor.html

4 Likes

Are they microwave safe?

7 Likes

It’s a clever way to recycle chipped or otherwise broken china, I guess, but the ones with the mismatched edges are the opposite of satisfying to me.

4 Likes

I was thinking for extra mash-up points the parts needed to be joined with gold a la 金継ぎ (kintsugi, aka kintsukuroi), but on closer look the joinings of some of them are a yellow line, so I thought maybe… but given that these are apparently mass-produced, I’m guessing no.

2 Likes

This is a job for photoshop.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that the orientalist mashups date back to whenever European manufacturers figured out how to replicate Chinese techniques–a good portion of their wealthier customers already had porcelain that had been made in China, and hence decorated according to Chinese taste.

2 Likes

And some of that porcelain was decorated with patterns supplied by European customers, to which the Chinese gave their own interpretation, further shuffling the aesthetic deck.

2 Likes

I’m not certain if all the pieces in this series is actually ‘recycled’ or assembled broken china, or if the prototypes were, and new variants were subsequently made from new. Who knows, perhaps they are all made from ‘sliced’ china. They don’t tend to show the underside of the pieces, which would help to explain this key element.

From Seletti’s site, I see design studio CTRLZAK from Milan also deserves further credit here, and their site has more photos worth exploring. They strike me as an Italian version of the Dutch Droog Design studio (http://www.droog.com/). From the CTRLZAK website, the series is dated 2011 - 2015, and was inspired by the 2010 series called CeramiX Art. Here’s the caption they give the CeramiX Art series:

CeramiX is a series of ceramic objects reflecting on the historical production of Chinese and European porcelain and its’ centuries of cross-fertilisation between Western and Eastern aesthetics. China has a long tradition in the production of ceramics and especially porcelain and Europe has for many centuries tried to copy the Chinese in that field. Nowadays our world is invaded by Chinese products that in most cases attempt to imitate those European. CeramiX is a reflection upon the irony of history through the world of ceramics. After an initial research in the traditional techniques, methods and evolution of both Chinese and European ceramics, the CTRLZAK team has identified certain key elements that distinguish both cultures. CeramiX Art Collection consists of 24 original pieces derived from classical Chinese and European plates, bowls, vases and cups, reassembled as unusual remixes. These objects were sought for in antique stores and flee markets and some of them even came from personal family collections. The pairing process of the two heterogeneous halves was by no means arbitrary; each piece has a visual narrative which is created through a careful selection of the two parts in such a way that they complement each other enriching the end result. CeramiX Art Collection was the inspiration for the Hybrid project which is an attempt to bring art in everyday life.

http://www.ctrlzak.com/projects/CeramiX_Art

And here’s the caption they give the Hybrid series:

Inspired by the CeramiX Art project this collection brings art closer to everyday life. Hybrid is produced in fine porcelain in China by Italian company SELETTI and consists of various tableware. The pieces in the collection are graphically divided between east and west with a coloured line marking the boundary between the two styles and, paradoxically, strengthening at the same time the union. The Hybrid collection looks at the present while reflecting on the irony of history proposing consequently an evocative contemporary interpretation.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.