Chimpanzees and bonobos greet each other and also signal their goodbyes according to new research

Originally published at: Chimpanzees and bonobos greet each other and also signal their goodbyes according to new research | Boing Boing

1 Like

I don’t know how bonobos signal “goodbye”, but based on everything I’ve ever read about them I assume it involves having a bunch of sex

5 Likes

They really are just like us aren’t they??

2 Likes

You know how in a family there is often one branch that’s all gorgeous, highly educated and charming? Beloved by all? That’s the bonobos.

We’re the other branch.

6 Likes

After reading this part, I wondered who is researching where we went wrong, and how to :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: fix it before it’s too late:

“In humans, that (sense of mutual obligation) bears witness of joint commitments,” said the study’s lead author Raphaela Heesen, a postdoctoral researcher at Durham University in the United Kingdom.

3 Likes

Now I’m just imagining bonobos winking at each other going “see YOU later”

2 Likes

Dear Darwin/God or whoever, please don’t let these guys catch politics or religion. That’ll be the end of their civil discourse

2 Likes

In all fairness, we’re a blend of the two. We are just as lovely and sexy as the Bonobos (sometimes). But throwing poo out of spite is fun, too.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.