China electronics maker will recall some devices sold in U.S. after massive IoT hack

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/24/xiongmai.html

2 Likes

Telnet and SSH aren’t obscure, really; they’re just old and have been superseded, but still work.
“No school like Old School.”

2 Likes

ssh has been superseded? That’s news. You’re right though that neither protocol is “obscure”.

3 Likes

Just fewer people know what to do with them these days.

1 Like

Anyone else see the irony? Buying all this consumer crap is basically paying to be hacked by the Chinese. I imagine many consumers used credit and paid interest on the credit - the credit the Chinese own too boot? Priceless.

China owns Visa and Mastercard? This is news to me that they own these credit card companies because they are publicly traded.

4 Likes

3 Likes

I think Krebs is using “obscure” in the sense that they’re not tools which mainstream consumers are readily familiar with. Which, let’s be honest, they’re not.

4 Likes

I’m sure he is. Once I realized it was a Krebs article, I had a better idea of the audience it was written for. I was primarily responding to MadLibrarian’s comment.

1 Like

These are not webcams! They’re network-attached surveillance cameras.

Why get every granny who webchats with the grandkids all freaked out about their little Logitech webcam.

1 Like

I think they are also “obscured” from the consumer while still being available to the 'bot. So all in all a pretty good choice of word I think.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.