China is now deep-cleaning and even destroying cash in fight against coronavirus

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/17/china-is-now-deep-cleaning-and.html

2 Likes

dosomething

15 Likes

Maybe it is just a smokescreen to nudge people to stop using untraceable cash and start using the electronic money in wechat.

6 Likes

That’s just trading one type of virus for another type. :wink:

6 Likes

It’s not as if it costs them all that much to destroy bills and print new ones. They are replaced on a regular basis anyway when worn out.

3 Likes

I’ve heard of money laundering, but this is ridiculous!

Thanks everyone, you’ve been a great audience, be sure to try the veal!

12 Likes

5 Likes

Yes, it’s that one.

Just because the virus is the big story doesn’t mean every other agenda gets forgotten, it just means people will find ways to hitch their agendas to the current story. (Like with Turmp’s “trade war” bullshit).

3 Likes

Yeah I was surprised to hear they still have cash. Seems like a perfect time to replace with surveillance.

2 Likes

money_laundering

2 Likes

I think POS swipe terminals and ATM buttons have to be way way more dangerous than the paper surface of cash

BTW found this helpful website that tracks not just deaths but also survivals which is not a number you ever hear about (seems to be 1:9 ratio right now)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

3 Likes

At this point I think China is doing everything that they can to stop this thing. I’d like to think that it’s out of care for their citizens; although a darker thought in my head is that they are doing everything so that if it doesn’t get stopped other nations don’t blame them because they can show that they did as much as they could to stop it.

I just don’t really see China as being the kind of country that would do underhanded, hidden things to manipulate their population. If they didn’t want cash to be around anymore, they would just eliminate cash.

Truly filthy lucre.

Wuhan is a punk paradise (by Chinese standards)

Also on Wikipedia:

Historical events taking place in Wuhan include the Wuchang Uprising, which led to the downfall of the Qing dynasty and the establishment of the Republic of China

There IMO are many reasons aside from public health that officials are making… interesting… decisions about how to “protect” Wuhan. Maybe out of fear - it’s my understanding the Chinese Zodiac emphasizes the view of time being cyclical, and I can totally see how people not wanting the past to repeat could be heavy handed

They, with “they” being the top echelon of the government, are wary of their subjects. It is part of what makes a dictatorship a dictatorship because it doesn’t really have the concept of transition of power, at least not in a nonviolent fashion.
If there is one thing that might keep Xi “Serve the People” Jinping et al awake at night it is the fear of the very people they are supposed to serve going “well, fuck that noise” on a massive scale.
Which is why they have been placating the people with the rewards of economic growth at all costs. The unspoken compact is: “You do not question us being your betters, we will take care of you. Everybody is better off that way.”
And now the Corona virus poses a double threat to the status quo.
I) The people might realize that The Party is not capable to take care of everything. And messed things up.
II) Corona is bad for business, it disrupts the flow of cash. The cash that cements the status quo.
Carting a couple of brainwashed army units from a remote province off to Beijing and have them grind a couple of thousands into the pavement is one thing. Dealing with a couple of ten or hundred thousands is a whole different ballgame.

“They” are getting nervous.

4 Likes

2 words: Crypto Currency

The road to hell is paved with the words, “out of an abundance of caution”. This is the epidemiological equivalent of security theater. CDC does not have an entry on cash specifically, but they have this to say about survival of the virus on hard surfaces…

There is still a lot that is unknown about the newly emerged COVID-19 and how it spreads. Two other coronaviruses have emerged previously to cause severe illness in people (MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV). The virus that causes COVID-19 is more genetically related to SARS-CoV than MERS-CoV, but both are betacoronaviruses with their origins in bats. While we don’t know for sure that this virus will behave the same way as SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, we can use the information gained from both of these earlier coronaviruses to guide us. In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods. Information will be provided on the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) website as it becomes available.

3 Likes

That’s 1 death to 9 survivors BTW.

( and the fact I had to look it up shows the error bars on my knowledge to date )

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.