China's billionaires are disappearing into police custody and/or early graves

Dozens of the richest executives in China have disappeared under mysterious circumstances and are assumed to be in police detention as the country pursues an aggressive anti-corruption didn’t-pay-off-the-correct-political-cronies agenda.

Fixed. Americans should not be smug, either: this is exactly the direction the GOP would like to see us headed in.

4 Likes

I doubt that the GOP would disappear very many billionaires.

4 Likes

I believe the point here is to shore up the billionaires on one side by eliminating the billionaires on the other. In America, both parties portray themselves as the party of the working poor and middle class (both groups making up the vast majority) and scapegoat the wealthy of the opposing team. It just so happens that those who are learned enough understand the political will of one party is more directly undermining everyone for the sake of a few than the other, for the moment, but rest assured, there are ‘enemies’ that they wouldn’t mind seeing disappear.

2 Likes

Wait, I thought Obama threw all the billionaires to howling mobs of peaceful protesters?

1 Like

Godfather II. The deal Frankie Pentangeli got.

2 Likes

Why can’t this happen in the USA!?! We need it bad. Some of these dudes are devils.

2 Likes

Good! We need it!

1 Like

Yeah, seeing that made me go and look it up. Turns out it was a real thing.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree on the corrupt rich folk thing but i can’t say that i would advocate for disappearing anyone, that seems kind of… communistic. Soon we’ll be talking about the proletariat and redistributing wealth.

If I remember correctly during the Revolution land-owners and the wealthy had their belongs and homes confiscated and turned into show pieces so that comrades could see them as the sins of capitalism and excess.

Old habits and all that.

1 Like

Company officials said in a statement that Guo had been “assisting in certain investigations carried out by judicial authorities,”

“I hereby inform you, under powers entrusted to me under section 47, paragraph 7 of council order number 438476 That Mr. Buttle, Archibald, has been invited to assist the Ministry of Information with certain inquiries and that he is liable to certain financial obligations as specified in council order RB/CZ/907/X.”

What’s the Mandarin for “sign here please.” Or “and this is my receipt for your receipt”?

3 Likes

That would be the source of a funny Laurel and Hardy bit from “Flying Deuces”. Told to go into a room and shut the door they given guns to shoot themselves. Two shots ring out. Stan emerges from the room, “We missed”.

1 Like

As exemplified in the great all time great British cheap production values/phenomenally cast miniseries “I, Claudius”.

1. Caligula keeps a ledger with two columns: Sword (beheading) and Dagger (“suiciding”)
  2. Claudius’s 2nd wife Messalina is told to kill herself but gets in a huff when the soldiers will cut off her head afterwards. [Her death is followed by a wonderful whip pan to represent her spinning decapitated noggin]
4 Likes

So it may be rather more acts of godfatherhood than fatherhood?

Maybe you’d be happier with the French Revolution.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.