Peng Shuai and the Chinese disappearing act

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/12/14/peng-shuai-and-the-chinese-disappearing-act.html

2 Likes

I’m psychically locked up by this sentence

For all of America’s faults- of which there are several- at least the government isn’t (allegedly) causing famous billionaires and celebrities to disappear.

3 Likes

Billionaires in the US are a protected class.

8 Likes

To a certain extent in China as well. Part of what’s concerning here is the non-Billionaires and non-celebrities that disappear don’t come back. But you’re not really going to ever hear about that.

A Billionaire or a prominent actor is too visible internationally to just disappear forever.

8 Likes

Ken Jeong GIF by The Masked Singer

5 Likes

There’s a feature in today’s Guardian about Hu Xijin, editor of the Global Times (which is China’s version of Fox News) - between the disappearances and government-approved bellicosity towards any critics of the state, it’s a scary place to be:

There’s a link in the article to the experience of one China critic who received an ‘invitation to tea’ down at the local police station. And that is terrifying (English and Chinese page):

2 Likes

I just want to take this opportunity to point out that the reaction from the Women’s Tennis Association of pulling out of all tournaments in China (at a huge financial cost) is admirable, and the IOC’s completely opposite response in the form of acting as a propaganda arm of the PRC government has been completely shameful. We need more organizations like the WTA.

5 Likes

I fixed that for you. AFAIK those are the only people somewhat safe from the US goverment.

Etc

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.