Chinese authorities are secretly installing their anti-Uyghur surveillance app on the phones of tourists to Xinjiang province

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/02/irkeshtam-malware.html

2 Likes

Does anyone else remember when the information-disseminating powers of technology were totally going to inevitably liberalize China?

It makes me feel so old.

15 Likes

Remember when everyone’s USENET .sig file had this quote in it? “The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it!”

I mean, it’s a hell of a quote, and as a wide-eyed teenage netizen I remember thinking it had some profound wisdom, but looking back I can’t for the life of me understand why I ever believed it. There are no secret phone lines going into my house that the gummint doesn’t know about, and there sure as heck aren’t any long-forgotten fiberoptic trunk cables going into China you can “route around” with.

6 Likes

I am thinking that would be a great app to reverse engineer to see measure and document its scope, using Collective Counterintelligence, and then return some garbage data/salt using Defensive Counterintelligence to keep the Chinese Government on edge. Bonus points if you can convince the government that a revolution is imminent and is being lead by their (deceased) former heads of state.

I am sure that firewall vendors within western countries would love to capture, fingerprint, and neutralize these threats in the wild.

This is precisely the reason I want to see smartphone vendors incorporate VMs onto their software ecosystem, so that all I/O can be monitored and filtered to user dictates.

3 Likes

Wonder what they do when you show up without a smartphone.

2 Likes

MORE RELEVANT QUOTE:

Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it;
so that when Men come to be undeceiv’d, it is too late – Jonathan Swift

the internet interprets facts as damage and routes around them

2 Likes

Thanks for that.
lincoln-internet-quote

4 Likes

Are you sure this is an anti-Uigher surveillance app? It looks more pro surveillance to me.

Well to be fair they’re helping keep Hong Kong liberal - those protests are aided by communications tech like Signal

Hmmmmm…

More like they are fighting a rearguard action against the inevitability of China absorbing the two systems and rendering them one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.